• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

inspect your parts before installing them

When you guys get shiny new performance parts or even replacement parts do you inspect them before installing them? I've always made it habit to give the part a quick once over before installing, more so with parts from the auto parts stores than expensive performance parts. Anyway I had ordered a BD flex plate for my truck and it showed up today. Not 10 seconds out of the box I noticed that a few of the tack welds that hold the starter ring gear on had appeared to be cracked. From arms length you'd have a hard time noticing it, but I work in a weld/fab shop so naturally I see these things daily. I put a call in to BD and explained to them that I had found what appeared to be cracks in the welds, I even emailed them a picture, and within an hour they told me the flex plate was junk and to send it back. So here I am with a pile of parts all ready to go in the truck and I have to wait another week. To be honest I'm surprised they actually stood behind it and were willing to work with me on getting the issue resolved. So lesson learned always inspect your parts before bolting them on.

Anyway else ever run into a similar issue?

• Like 1

I had a balance weight fly off a new pressure plate and fly through the bell housing years ago, right after we fired the car up. After that I usually added an extra tack weld to them. Local parts store stood behind it, but still had to tear it apart to replace. Pre-install inspection is a really good idea.

At first I was pretty worked up about it, I shelled out hard earned money for what should be a quality piece and it wasn't. The icing on the cake is the fact it got an SFI approval sticker slapped on it....   I'm still annoyed by the fact I had to purchase the replacement flex plate even though I'll be refunded once they receive the junk one back.

• Owner

I'm usually very watchful as well to part even standard part store stuff. Being I do turn wrenches for a living and seen several things that would make you go nuts or do damage. Like my all time favorite is a Ford 6 cylinder engine water pump. There was 2 series made the both look identical but one bolt hole shoulder is shorter. Needless to say a one gent I help do work for got the wrong water pump with a short shoulder and ended up pushing a hole into #1 cylinder with a bolt that was too long. So I tend to compare parts from the old to the new even in after market stuff to be sure no damage will occur.

I called BD back and asked to speak with someone in charge about the quality issue I had, but no one knew who that would be........ The guy they transferred me to was probably just another salesmen. I explained the situation to him  and told him because I'm not the John Force of the diesel world I was changed for a replacement, and had to wait another 4 days to receive the part. He simply replied "sorry man" and that was it. He did go on to explain that some time ago they had a batch of 200 or so flex plates that the welds cracked on, and told me I should be reassured now that I'm getting a new one..  I guess I don't understand how 200+ parts with bad welds can make it out the door when you have to slap a SFI cert. sticker on them.. obviously they have zero quality control. He did tell me that if I wanted I could have brought it somewhere to have it tig welded then send them the bill. I guess I fail to see the reasoning behind spending 350 bucks on a part I have to have reworked before I can use it. Anyway to end my rant this will be the first and last BD diesel part I ever buy, and I'll make sure non of my diesel friends here in town buy from them either.

• Owner

That ain't right. I thought BD was better than that. It's a tough game, buy local and pay an arm and a leg but have great service, or buy online and save money but have hassle and terrible customer service. 

All based on how much you can lose in freight... Shipping back and forth can get expensive for the company and/or customer.

As if it wasn't bad enough, I received my replacement flex plate today. I was beyond disappointed to see that it was a reworked part that's worse than the original part I bought. Out of the 12 tack welds that hold the starter ring gear on 7 are cracked. I'm at a loss of words to describe just how mad I am. I'll be sending BD pictures and an email first thing tomorrow demanding a full refund, then I'll be buying from another company.  Its one thing to buy a used part and have it bad, but to be 750 bucks into 2 brand new flex plates that are both junk is a word I cant say here.

Anyway anyone have any experience with the Goerend flex plates?