• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Big Line Kit

I love my draw straw, I can run down well below 1/16 of a tank without any PSI issues.

That is good, and you must have done your install right, a lot of guys seem to have issues... Especially on hills.  How much clearance between the tank and the straw?

I had a draw straw in my tank when I bought my truck, but had problems sucking air with 1/3 of tank or less so i modified my module to have 1/2" lines in and out. I got it to about 1/16 of tank and worked good. I think if you use needle valve for fuel pressure gauge it dampens the signal too much and you can't tell if you're sucking air at low fuel level, but if you crack it open more just to try it out. I'm thinking you'll see maybe needle bounce. You can  see I drilled another hole on top of module and used jic fitting to a flare on inside, and using stock plastic return line from injectors and vp, Also make sure to get rid of fine screen on bottom of fuel basket, I don't explain well so hope this helps. P.S. make sure to run return pretty close to bottom or it will make lots of foam. 

post-1102-0-11852700-1444437855_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-35887900-1444437897_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-44237600-1444437932_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-53750200-1444438714_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-76272700-1444438738_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-11852700-1444437855_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-35887900-1444437897_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-44237600-1444437932_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-53750200-1444438714_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-76272700-1444438738_thumb.jp

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

• Owner

I'm also a draw straw user too. I can run down to below 1/8 of a tank without much issues. It about doing the measurements while the tank is empty and making them tight to the bottom. Like myself I measured for a quarter coin thickness. Reason why is when you add fuel to the tank the bottom will deflect away so it will add gap naturally and also draw near the tip as it empties. No angle cut. Also I just lightly notched tip with a grinder. Draw Straws are fine as long as you install them properly.

drawstraw-tip.jpg

• Like 1

I had a draw straw in my tank when I bought my truck, but had problems sucking air with 1/3 of tank or less so i modified my module to have 1/2" lines in and out. I got it to about 1/16 of tank and worked good. I think if you use needle valve for fuel pressure gauge it dampens the signal too much and you can't tell if you're sucking air at low fuel level, but if you crack it open more just to try it out. I'm thinking you'll see maybe needle bounce. You can  see I drilled another hole on top of module and used jic fitting to a flare on inside, and using stock plastic return line from injectors and vp, Also make sure to get rid of fine screen on bottom of fuel basket, I don't explain well so hope this helps. P.S. make sure to run return pretty close to bottom or it will make lots of foam. 

Mine is set up very much like yours. Same fuel basket but with an ADII. I dont have whatever the aluminum thing is you have in the pump bracket. My pickup just goes into the bottom of the basket. My return from the engine goes into the basket and I cant remember where the return from pump the goes. I also did not remove the screen but the pump will suck the tank dry. I Have been one to run a tank real low. So low that I have put a touch over 35 gallons in it once and near 35 gallons less than a hand full of times. I dont recommend stretching your fuel that far, It is a bad habit I have had for a long time. Never sucked air in that I know off anyway.

Edited by dripley

Mine is set up very much like yours. Same fuel basket but with an ADII. I dont have whatever the aluminum thing is you have in the pump bracket. My pickup just goes into the bottom of the basket. My return from the engine goes into the basket and I cant remember where the return from pump the goes. I also did not remove the screen but the pump will suck the tank dry. I Have been one to run a tank real low. So low that I have put a touch over 35 gallons in it once and near 35 gallons less than a hand full of times. I dont recommend stretching your fuel that far, It is a bad habit I have had for a long time. Never sucked air in that I know off anyway.

That thing is draw straw 5 http://www.vulcanperformance.com/DrawStraw-5-p/ds5qc.htm it replaces factory in tank pump. And then I made my own return. And that white stuff on top of module is jb weld fuel compatible for more strength. Edited by Dieselfuture

That thing is draw straw 5 http://www.vulcanperformance.com/DrawStraw-5-p/ds5qc.htm it replaces factory in tank pump. And then I made my own return. And that white stuff on top of module is jb weld fuel compatible for more strength.

I understand now. my AD came with a kit to replace the in tank pump also. More or less a pick up tube as I remember that went to the bottom of the basket. Very simple but works very good.

Dang! That's the cleanest tank top I've ever seen!

I Have been one to run a tank real low. So low that I have put a touch over 35 gallons in it once and near 35 gallons less than a hand full of times.

:omg:  So you know what the :fuel:  looks like. Your crazy man, I've never had to put more than 34 in mine :lmao:

• Like 1