• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

manometer blowby test

You should be able to see if something is immediately wrong with the head.... I'm assuming you're going to have it at least decked anyway right? You could have the machine shop go through the head while they have it.

What makes you think you have an issue in the first place? Just the blowby?

57 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

You should be able to see if something is immediately wrong with the head.... I'm assuming you're going to have it at least decked anyway right? You could have the machine shop go through the head while they have it.

What makes you think you have an issue in the first place? Just the blowby?

Actually blowby looks fine engine acts great.

Smoke at idle.

From what I have been told by builders this is not controlled by pump. Usually means injectors.... however changed out and 0 difference. 

I'm thinking most likely a valve or head issue ...... but really prefer to isolate as best as possible before tearing open.

Of course until I do the test ..... all just guesses. 

Compression without fuel is just above 400psi, or somewhere in there. If you have a bad enough issue I think it'll show up in the compression test.

When I did a leakdown I  removed all the rockers (makes sure all valves are closed and sealed). You should be able to hear air coming through the intake , exhaust, or crankcase.

I checked all of the pushrods to see if they were bent...(Have you done that?) so they were already out. Just means you don't have to turn the engine over when you go to the next hole. It also seems a little safer than putting things down in the injector hole, and gives you a good excuse to adjust em up.

OK.

My mates snapon kit arrived today - will aim to do this saturday.

So assuming (steps)

Remove All injectors.
Disable fuel (remove airdog fuse as well as manually flip up FSS solenoid)
No need to remove exhaust rocker (SNAPON) - just plug in and bolt down.
Crank and Measure.
Move to next cylinder.

Anything else ?

Leakdown ..... remove guage and add compressed air. Listen for leaks.

On November 5, 2015 at 5:00:45 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Count the beats. Typically I'll do 3 beats and stop. Check the measurement.

How do you mean ..... Three cranks ? 

Im guessing you pull ALL injectors to reduce cranking force on the 5 not being measured for battery/starter etc ........ Do you typically plug the holes ..... Thinking oil getting in from head on cranking other cylinder

also even though  I will disable fueling via lift pump and FSS I'm expecting I'll see some fuel from the p7100 from what's left in the pump delivery cylinder ..... After that I guess it will be dry .... 

Instructions say say to do on operating temp engine ..... Wasn't really planning on this at least this go around ...... Not overly concerned on numbers being high ..... More concerned on variation in 1 cylinder .....as main reason for doing this is try to isolate if anything wrong with engine for smoke at idle ....... Any issues with this . Can always repeat later if had to ..... Don't fancy working on hot engine .....

• Owner

You'll know what I mean when you run the test. With the other 5 holes open you should here a free roiling engine till it hits the compression stroke and it will make a off beat sound. That would be 1 beat or one compression stroke. I typically stop after 3 times.

Also I've had a few test the theory on hot vs. cold compression test typical the hot test shows higher pressures. Rings seal up better.

Edited by Mopar1973Man