• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man's Crankcase Vent Modification

Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?

• Yes...got it installed already.
    • Not yet but plan to do it.
    • Not doing it.
    • Don't know what it is.

• 1 year later...

Instead of another thread, adding to this one.For those that have done this mods many moons ago, how is it holding up? Hoses, pvc? Would the black pvc work? Radiator is out, doing a cooling system flush and degreasing the rad. Didnt do the mod the first time since my truck is 2wd. Pulled the rad out to clean the bugs out of the front and noticed that the back of the rad is getting gummed up again. Guess its time to do this and wanted some longterm feed back.

Instead of another thread, adding to this one. For those that have done this mods many moons ago, how is it holding up? Hoses, pvc? Would the black pvc work? Radiator is out, doing a cooling system flush and degreasing the rad. Didnt do the mod the first time since my truck is 2wd. Pulled the rad out to clean the bugs out of the front and noticed that the back of the rad is getting gummed up again. Guess its time to do this and wanted some longterm feed back.

ive had this installed for 2 years now and have gone down some EXTREME downslopes with ZERO oil leakage. I have had no issues to think of, no problems, no smells, nothing. I do plan to integrate a 1 liter bottle onto the end of the down tube with holes in it (to vent pressure) so i can catch any vapor drips (very far and few between) but dont want to dirty up a driveway. DO IT it will save your engine on downslopes greater than 22deg angle and keep your radiator clean.

ive had this installed for 2 years now and have gone down some EXTREME downslopes with ZERO oil leakage. I have had no issues to think of, no problems, no smells, nothing. I do plan to integrate a 1 liter bottle onto the end of the down tube with holes in it (to vent pressure) so i can catch any vapor drips (very far and few between) but dont want to dirty up a driveway. DO IT it will save your engine on downslopes greater than 22deg angle and keep your radiator clean.

X2 - best mod for the price :) I like bein able to remove it fully also - sometimes its a little bit of pain to get it screwed back in at the back of the firewall - but I like being able to see how uch oil comes out of the breather and how much blowby also. :thumbup2:

For those that have done this mods many moons ago, how is it holding up? Hoses, pvc? Would the black pvc work?

I did mine about a year ago. Thought I had an oil leak from the pan. After the pipe was put in, no oil leak! :wow: I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! If you mean the black abs pipe, I don't see that that would be a problem. I did use a 3/4" heater hose for the down spout though.

• Staff

Why couldn't a guy just run a down pipe that splits off into four tubes. Run each tube to just in front of each ball joint for lubrication and longer lasting BJ's. Then the next time you got to replace them they are easier to get out :sofa:

• Like 1

• Owner

Why couldn't a guy just run a down pipe that splits off into four tubes. Run each tube to just in front of each ball joint for lubrication and longer lasting BJ's. Then the next time you got to replace them they are easier to get out :sofa:

First off you need a truck that spits... Mine don't... Yeah I might drip on the floor now and then from the pipe but I don't have a oil loss problem. Then if I was to do that I would have a huge ball of muddy oil on all the parts from the many many miles of dirt road travel. :duh:

I'm going to add to this thread for my own curiosity..... I removed my puke bottle years before I ever heard about Mikes PVC over the engine solution. Back then all anyone did was add a couple feet of 3/4" hose to the original vent line and let it dangle in front of the engine. I thought that wasn't proper solution so I added enough 3/4" hose to run down under the engine, along the frame, and stop just before the fuel tank, making sure there was no droops or sags which could allow oil puddling in the hose. This has been working great for years with a rare drop of oil from the hose end. In saying all this, I have always been leery of descending down any steep grades in 4wd for reason that if the ISB was pointed downward more than somewhere around 35*-40* then the oil would collect in the front of the engine and the timing gears would shove it out the vent hose quickly expelling most of your engine oil. Well not that I planned on many hardcore 4wd traversing but knowing this still remains in the back of my mind while out in the woods.So finding Mikes PVC idea, the thought process was that upon any oil pushing out the vent, gravity working against it, the oil would have to climb up and out the vent tube and go over the engine before any escaped. And then if any oil did happen to make it that far, when the driving angle leveled back out then the oil would simply drain back into the engine. Sounds logical but I have to say that I'm just not comfortable with the oil even making its way out the vent in the first place. I'd rather have a way to completely plug the timing case vent and have the engine vent somewhere else, like on the valve cover. Yes, I know there has been guys who've done this or even just added another vent on the valve cover but without sounding like I'm criticizing anyone's work, I have yet to see it done and not look nice, or better, stock.Thats not to say your PVC idea isn't a good one either Mike but just that I'm one of those particular people who questions everything. :)

In saying all this, I have always been leery of descending down any steep grades in 4wd for reason that if the ISB was pointed downward more than somewhere around 35*-40* then the oil would collect in the front of the engine and the timing gears would shove it out the vent hose quickly expelling most of your engine oil.

22 degrees is the fluid level to the vent. anything past that and it will puke. I went down a 55-50 deg slope and i lost almost a gallon of oil before the mod. luckily i had my edge monitor scream at me and shutdown at 10psi oil. the amount i lost cause the engine to lose prime for a second and lost pressure but thankfully not under load. the next day i did the mod and never had a problem since.
  • Like 1