• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man's Crankcase Vent Modification

Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?

• Yes...got it installed already.
    • Not yet but plan to do it.
    • Not doing it.
    • Don't know what it is.

I'd like to know. I like the idea of copper rather than PVC. I'm a landscaper and know PVC very well and can braze copper. My question...without the flex properties of PVC, could I build it out of PVC and pull it back out and make one out of copper using the PVC as a template? No need to glue the PVC, so the fittings won't be wasted. Fittings are the most expensive part of this deal. I just like the looks of copper vs PVC. Plus no worries about heat and melting.

I'd like to know. I like the idea of copper rather than PVC. I'm a landscaper and know PVC very well and can braze copper. My question...without the flex properties of PVC, could I build it out of PVC and pull it back out and make one out of copper using the PVC as a template? No need to glue the PVC, so the fittings won't be wasted. Fittings are the most expensive part of this deal. I just like the looks of copper vs PVC. Plus no worries about heat and melting.

PVC is better than copper. I don't like open exposed copper on a vechicle, you will get corrosion due to the galvanic reaction. I cite the Statue of Liberty with its iron frame and copper sheathing. The insulation between the iron and copper degraded and the copper, iron, and salt/moisture basically created a battery which destroyed the iron frame in short order.

I'd have to be in direct contact with the two opposing metals. I doubt I need to worry about the truck being around as long as the Statue of Liberty. :pray:

True, as long as they are insulated you should be fine, I just worry about such things. I hate rust.

when i made mine i did it so the down tube on the backside screws in to the tube running along the engine. unscrew the downtube from engine bay and yer good to go. had it on for 2 years or so now with no issues the reason to run it back behind the engine is so you dont dump oil out on steep downhills (greater than 22 deg down IIRC)

• 1 month later...

Late again. I did Mikes mod 2 yrs ago and NO MORE messy rad. I don't offroad as much as Mike but still like his mod. I mean 10.00 it is the cheapest and easiest mod I have done. Plus the most payback yet. If it falls apart tomorrow I put 10.00 and 10 min. and it's back. plus plus.

• 3 weeks later...

so i am in the middle of "hunt down and purge all the oil leaks day" on my 99, and this mod is one of the ones i'm looking at, as the previous owner's shove a pop bottle on the breather hose mod just ain't cutting it.that being said i have a rather newbie question to pose...couldn't one just take the end vent tube and graft it into the air intake (i have an airaid box and filter)just after the air filter? in my mind this would prevent any mist buildup / drips to the ground, as it would come in with the intake air and burn off.i know i have seen this setup on many other vehicles i have worked on in the past, but this being my first turbo, i wasn't sure about that oil mist's affects on that particular part of the intake system? would appreciate some input from those more learned and experienced...thanks

so i am in the middle of "hunt down and purge all the oil leaks day" on my 99, and this mod is one of the ones i'm looking at, as the previous owner's shove a pop bottle on the breather hose mod just ain't cutting it. that being said i have a rather newbie question to pose... couldn't one just take the end vent tube and graft it into the air intake (i have an airaid box and filter)just after the air filter? in my mind this would prevent any mist buildup / drips to the ground, as it would come in with the intake air and burn off. i know i have seen this setup on many other vehicles i have worked on in the past, but this being my first turbo, i wasn't sure about that oil mist's affects on that particular part of the intake system? would appreciate some input from those more learned and experienced... thanks

I wouldn't - because there is an inline heater at the intake manifold.

• 1 month later...

I just added a long piece of old 3/4 inch garden hose and ran it through the frame box and exited it in front of the fuel tank and pointed it down and it has been that way for about 7 years and 100k miles with no issues or oil on my under side or anywhere else for that matter. in the summer I might get a drop or 2 on the floor when I park it after a long hot day of running.

I bought a billet tappet cover on e-bay which was tapped 3/4 NPT, used Right Stuff gasket maker ran two lines to a catch can also bought on e-bay which has a site tube and drain. Valve cover also has to breathers all to keep pressure from building up

I used some oil resistant hose from NAPA, maybe 1" ID, kinda looks like a garden hose but red outside black inside, ran it down front and then dumped it behind the front axle, all zip tied. Seems to work fine, no bad smell in cab after oil change, we'll see how she behaves with high snow or slush next winter

• 3 weeks later...

I did the mod about a month ago. I used to need to add a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so. Now 3,000 since my oil change and has not lost any oil at all. Thanks for the great info! I have a 16% grade in a residential area I service regularly. Bet that's where I was loosing oilBTW, 16% grade is 16% of what? 90*, 180*?