• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man's Crankcase Vent Modification

Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?

• Yes...got it installed already.
    • Not yet but plan to do it.
    • Not doing it.
    • Don't know what it is.

Just wondering how many people have done Mikes crankcase vent. I knew about the vent problem and his inexpensive repair but put it off until my radiator looked like this;

Posted Image

So I cleaned my radiator, intercooler, engine...and added Mikes upgrade and haven't had a problem since. Also, my truck doesn't smell like oil after an oil change like it used to.

• Owner

So does the oil actually travel the wole lenght of that piping to get out? Thought maybe it just may build up in the elbows in the piece going up from the breather :shrug:

No... Only thr oil vapor and crankcase blowby gasses travel the pipe. This corrects both TSBs for oils...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/crankcase-vent/tsb-09-002-02.htm

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/crankcase-vent/tsb-09-02-00.htm

Pics please!!:hyper:

Unpaint vent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Exit point...

Posted Image

The Kit...

Posted Image

• Owner

Where is the tube at stock on those 24v's? I was wondering why mine didn't have that issue, then I recalled mine goes right where Mike's fix goes.

Yeap the blow by hose is located in the back of the tappet valley on all 12V trucks. Dodge created a TSB fix that was covered under warranty but now cost about $350 to $400 bucks for the revised tappet cover to be installed. When I did Taz's 12V tappet cover it looked to be the same size and seem that if you picked up a 12V tappet cover it should fit... (Guessin') But since all that requires complete removal of all the stuff on the driver side of the engine. VP44, ECM, fuel filter, power steering pump, etc... It would be easier to just make the pipe MOD...

But since all that requires complete removal of all the stuff on the driver side of the engine. VP44, ECM, fuel filter, power steering pump, etc... It would be easier to just make the pipe MOD...

And your mod only costs about $10.00 or so and is fast and easy to do. Posted Image

I'm surprised to see a few people saying they are NOT going to do the mod... :poke::shrug:

I wish they had posted why they aren't doing it. Maybe some of them already have the factory upgrade or don't actually own a 24 valve with a puke bottle. It's my first attempt at a poll so maybe I should have worded it better? I'd rate it as one of the top 5 upgrades I've done to my truck.

I'm surprised to see a few people saying they are NOT going to do the mod... :poke::shrug:

If I don't have any CCV build-up, why should I bother? I wonder if installing performance boxes like the Edge causes the excess CCV build up?

• Owner

If I don't have any CCV build-up, why should I bother? I wonder if installing performance boxes like the Edge causes the excess CCV build up?

In my case its off road operation that causes it...

Owners of 1998 - 2002 (BR) Ram Trucks equipped with the 24-valve Cummins diesel engine may experience engine oil overflow from the front crankcase breather when the vehicle is operated off-road on an extreme downhill grade (37.5% or 22° slope/grade). Operation of this type for extended periods of time can cause enough engine oil depletion to damage the engine. A kit containing all components necessary to eliminate the oil overflow has been made available. If the condition exists, perform the repair.

I got tried of washing the radiator and carrying a extra 3 gallons of oil everytime I went out hauling firewood. :mad:

I just added a long piece of old 3/4 inch garden hose and ran it through the frame box and exited it in front of the fuel tank and pointed it down and it has been that way for about 7 years and 100k miles with no issues or oil on my under side or anywhere else for that matter. in the summer I might get a drop or 2 on the floor when I park it after a long hot day of running.