• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering fluid

So I hear some people running atf+4 for power steering fluid has done them well then others harshly say not to use it. Well I can not find any synthetic power steering fluid around here and I'm wanting to flush the system this weekend.  I want to know for sure the difference between the two and pros/cons of using either. I just installed a new redhead steering box moog pitman arm and tierod and the seal is already leaking on the main output shaft....lmao...within 150 miles

• Owner

For our 2nd Gen truck all our truck take standard power steering fluid. (Non-synthetic). Using synthetic power steering fluid is a bonus but becomes very costly to flush every 30k miles. It takes about 1 gallon to flush and refill a system properly. This doesn't mean using a turkey baster either. No you can't extend the interval for using synrhetics because there is no filter system so extending the interval just mean longer debris is allowed to ruin the pump, gear box and hydro-booster.

ATF is not supposed to be used in our systems. 3rd Gen (2003 and up) yes your suppose to use ATF.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

I just ordered a 5 gallon pail of Amsoil Synthetic power steering fluid.  It cost $141.25 plus shipping.  (preferred customer pricing) When you figure 40 pints in 5 gallons, that comes to about $3.53 per pint.  I use a oil vaccum like what boat owners use to suck the engine oil out of the dip stick to vacuum out the power steering fluid from the reservoir.  I do this each oil change.  Sometimes I will refill, the reservoir, start up the engine and turn the steering  lock to lock a few times and then vacuum out the reservoir a 2nd time.  Over time the fluid eventually all gets changed and the fluid in the power steering system stays pretty fresh and clean. 

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/power-steering-fluid/

• Like 1

If you empty the reservoir, jack up the front end, and work the steering lock to lock with the engine off, it will pump the fluid from the steering gear into the reservoir.  You can also pull the output plug out to drain a little more fluid.  This is also as good of time as any to work some magic on the pump :woot:

• Like 1

True, but I don't think you'd get any crud you otherwise wouldn't with normal driving.  Been wrong before though.  But yeah, pumping it into a container would be best, but the return line hose has been stuck on all the trucks I've played with, only way to get it off is to cut it off.  So if you want to avoid monkeying with it, I think you'd be safe to just pump it into the reservoir.

• Staff

Good read Cowboy, Thank you

The other day while over worked,  not rested up, I may have accidently deleted a short post you made. No way of knowing for sure.... I just happen to read about one of your posts disappeared somewhere and was asking about it. I think it was me :doh: Sorry if it was.......