• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4wd actuator bit the dust

So I finally got around to trying to fix the 4wd engage in my truck.  For the past couple years I just had to pull it out and drain the vacuum actuator to get it going again, but this time the rod that slides the coupler over is bent.

I figure, no big deal, I will run over to oreilly's and get a new one.  I got there only to get the shock that they wanted $90 for the cheapo chinese one.  

A quick look online shows a couple for 60-70, but still.  

So question is do I bite the bullet and just replace the actuator or do I po the posi lock method for $159 ish?  I think jegs has one for 109 right now.  Anyone been here and done that? 

Nick

• Owner

I know everyone on CF.com is raving on how nice 2WD LO is. Myself I really don't care for a bunch of modified stuff in the truck. I just replaced it with a another vacuum motor. I so rarely even use the 4WD feature even in the winter time I'm hard pressed to pulling the lever in either truck. 

This is even this is 2WD HI time.

DSCF2713.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I just replaced my actuator... I mean it lasted this many years right?

The posi lock would be cool for reversing with trailers though. You'd effectively have a 2-low. I'm the opposite of Mike on this one. It's really nice when you have a short trailer (snowmobile) to back up slowly. On the other side if you're backing a monster gooseneck into a tight spot it's nice to be going slow. JMHO

On my old truck I had the vacuum chamber rot out on the actuator so I made my own posi-lock cable setup, I don't think I even spent $40 for all the parts.

I used a locking control cable from napa part # 731-1104

then I drilled and taped the actuator housing for a compression fitting that I ran the cable through, then I drilled another hole in the shift fork for the cable to go through with a cable lock on the back side. I also had to put a spring on the cable inside the housing so it would disengage when the cable was pushed back in.

I used to have pictures of it all but I can't seem to find them now.

Edited by bjytech

Seems to me 2 whl low would be real handy when you need to back a trailer precisely, especially at night. I use 4lo quite often as I must back my trailer uphill on grass between 2 other vehicles. Was wondering if I could use air switch off of big truck to splice into vacuum lines, since my actuator is still good. I think pac brake makes something like this. About same cost as posi lock iirc. 

Well more to report.  I put it all back together not expecting anything, but I now have 4wd again.  I guess I am good to forget about this until the next time I need 4wd and can't engage it hahaha.

I think I will just keep it stock and replace the overpriced vacuum actuator.