• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

cummins stumble

I would forgo the anti gel for now. It counteracts the 2 stroke. I have never had to use anti gel for the life of the truck and have had no issues. That is with straight #2 diesel. You should be good down to near 0* with out it. Coldest have ever seen is -10*. Bio is less cold friendly and there is a lot of out there these days. I am not sure how cold you can get with it. This is just my personal experience and some other members are more versed in this.

I live just down I 40 in Hickory NC and have been coming thru eastern TN quite a bit here lately. I am currently working in Muscle Shoals AL. Not sure where the next job is but if is has me passing thru your neck of the woods I could lend a hand changing that pump out. I know how it feels to get hit with 2 big ticket items at once when your wallet is full of dust. Replacing the pump is not difficult.

Thanks for the offer. Well i Got to work on it sum today pulled the old fuel filter out and found it sucked together I thought I'd found the issue but quickly found another after the filter change I ouldnt get it to prime the lift pump was running and moving very little fuel so I stuck a old one I had on it and primed this time it picked up fuel on the first time and truck started but pump was weak any way so it only makes 8 psi so I'm Thinking the filter might have been hiding a failed lift pump and May just need to get a fass what ya guys think

I would have to vote for a new fuel system. Electric or mechanical, they both have benefits. I have an AD that served me well for 5 years but then had a pump failure. Hope that does not repeat itself. Anything is better than the stocker.

It does appear that you have at lest located the problem.

e

Edited by dripley

I hope so it really amazed me how it Had good fuel psi till I opend the system then nothing but fass will be ordered soon and well see but how are I guys gettin a gauge hook up mine is in the filter and that will go away with the fass has any one had any luck wihe putting the gauge to the outlet on the fass I'm gettin a titanium series and it has a built in port for the guage

I did the big line kit and I kept the oe filter housing for the fuel heater, water in fuel sensor, extra filtration and such. Is it really needed, maybe not. Just how I did it. if you run the line straight to the vp you can do the same thing, just cut it into the new line. As far as the port on the fass for a gauge I dont know anything good or bad about it.

could be as simple as return ball and spring, they lay on the shelf too long and do that occasionally, call fass and tell them you got pressure spikes at idle and they will send you out new spring and ball for free, most of the time. if that doesn't fix the problem  it can be that something is restrictive in fuel system and the only way to do it right is to make sure you're 1/2 " all the way around, fuel basket and all. Also do this to the return spring see picture. This way ball doesn't get jammed in the spring. IMG_20150202_171558_556.thumb.jpg.e26b9a

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

Ok guys here's the plan im going to install my mechanical gauge and ditch the electonic then I'm going to do a bucket test to see if the fuel canister is at fault about 3 years ago it came apart so I'm wondering if it's at fault again if it is what is. The best option sense I done spliced the fuel neck I don't want to return to a draw straw. In this case would I be able to all the draw straw to the fuel canister 

I just pulled my tank last weekend.  There are a few things...  One, is that the canister has two check valves and a screen.  That screen could be plugged up.  Mine was plugged with dirt. 

You can carefully disassemble the bottom of the canister that has the screen by carefully depressing the nylon prongs that hold the base on.  The whole canister can come apart, but it really isn't worth it.  Then you can clean the screen out or just ignore it since the draw straw is going in.  I removed the screen and the bottom check valve so I don't trap fuel in the canister. 

The easiest way to drop the tank, IMO is to use a ratchet strap around each end of the tank.  Tie one end to the frame, and one end to the bed frame.  I found it easier to do if I dropped the driveshaft as well.  Then just lower the tank down after removing the two bolts holding the two straps on.  The frame side of the straps just fit into slots and get worked out. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK guy I finnaly got it straightened out I dropped the tank ratchet wraps worked great found many issues with it installed the draw straw and that helped but I still hadpressure issues I took a video and sent it to fass and they sent me out a new ball and spring after that Iwhile waiting I stretched the old spring about 3/4 in and reinstalled now I have I consistant 18psi at idle an 16 at wot no surging also this took care of the stumble it had no further issues as of now. Thanks for thehrelp when I got the code for the VP I panniced cause of lack of funds

• Like 1