• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for a new truck

Well I've been looking to upgrade from my 2wd short box to a 4x4 long box. With that, there brings up some things that I don't know a lot about so hoping I can use everyone's knowledge here to help me out!

So ideally looking for a 2nd gen 4x4 long box with a manual trans.

- The pros/cons between auto and a 5/6 speed? and with this pros/cons between the 94-98 and 98.5-02?

- Any pros/cons between the 12v and 24v?

I'm much more familiar with the 24v since that's what I currently have so I feel more comfortable wrenching on that, but is it much different on the 12v?

I know the weak points of the 24v trucks being the lift pump, injection pump, poss high A/C currents on alternators and I've read a couple on the 12v (primarily the 5th gear something or another?) but are there any other things I should look for?

I feel like they're pretty similar, and from what I've seen there are some decent options on the 12v side, but just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into if I go the 12v route. Thanks in advance!

Matt

• Like 1

Any reason for not looking into a 3rd gen Cummins? Just curious, Having had 3 second gens over the years I would never go back to one unless it was just a project rig for pulling or mud running ect something that would not be a road rig.

I have sooo much more time on my hands and money in my pocket not having to be continuously working on the 2nd gens over the years. :) Lot more solid rigs than 2nd gens.

• Like 1

I guess I'm not necessarily opposed, I think I just prefer the 2nd gens. Plus, I'm hoping to keep the price down as much as possible. Ideally I'd like to have the motor sent off to have a complete rebuild, along with the tranny. Obviously that would be much further down the road, but just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. I will look into some 3rd gens though

• Like 1

Either he has no idea what he paid someone to put on the truck or he is lying.

Can't add od to a 47re/rh as they already have od.

Exhaust brake doesn't attach to the trans.

Looks clean, but I'd be curious about if the guy is just blowing smoke

Seems like a lot of red flags in this post.  My experience when adds are written like this there is always a scam involved.  I have posted adds online quite a bit and I usually get a text or email with someone that doesn't use any punctuation offering more than full price and all I have to do is wire him the excess money.  If you are interested, give him a call and ask the questions.  It should be pretty easy to see if it is smoke he is blowing.  He may be a very nice and honest guy.

Yea very true. I've been looking around for a new truck for quite a while and just haven't found one that fits what I'm looking for, or my budget, so I think I may have to put a new truck on hold. In the meantime I'll just end up throwing more money at my current rig and just that as an experiment so when I get the truck I really want it should be a breeze!

I read the add and it appears to be bad grammar and punctuation that makes it read different than what is intended more than anything, that and lack of technical knowledge to top it off.

What he intended to say is this...................... lol

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Added a enter key after to add the video.
  • Like 4

LOL

This is what my wife hears when I talk about stuff. 

45 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

I read the add and it appears to be bad grammar and punctuation that makes it read different than what is intended more than anything, that and lack of technical knowledge to top it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

With that and a new flux capacitor, who could stop ya!!

3 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

This is pretty much what I hear when Mike starts talking about computers and operating software like Linux and such.

Kinda like Charlie Browns teacher?  Wa.  wa.  WAAA. wah.  Waah wa.  

• Like 2

Haha man that's a good video! Haven't seen it before. 

So just as I was about to give up I saw this http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5311745951.html which is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. My only reservation right now is its a 53 block. From what I know, heavy towing in mountain roads is what's caused cracks on 53s but that can't be the rule of thumb, right?! I currently have a 53 but I know the truck has never pulled or done any heavy towing so it should be fine. I've also heard that if the blocks going to crack it typically happens before 150k but how true can that be?!

If you guys have any other insight into this, please let me know. I like this truck and he's got the majority of must do things already done and the price?? Seems like a fair asking price. Thoughts?

Here is our local classified site that blankets from western Minn to eastern Mont all of ND and northern SD, Craigslist is a dead zone here as this site rules the roost here.

I just type in Cummins and or dodge diesel ect for main searches, Lots of fairly good deals lately if one watches close as the oil field has slowed down and lots of guys looking to dump stuff right now. I just bought a brand new $1500 treadmill for 800 bucks from a guy who just lost his job and is moving out of state and is dumping stuff to head out again.

From what I see of prices in your area a drive to the east would save you some bucks to pick up a rust free rig too as long as it doesn't come from Minnesota.

http://www.bismanonline.com/content/action/Search?q=cummins&searchCategoryId=All&sto=on&x=0&y=0

Here is one of the better deals I have seen lately, looks to be a nice ride for the asking price for a mega cab 3rd gen.

http://www.bismanonline.com/thompson_nd/2006_dodge_2500_cummins_6_speed

Edited by Wild and Free

• 2 months later...

Alright so I'm back at it! lol I can't help it! Anyways, I found this truck and it looks like a pretty solid rig. The owner seems to of done a lot of nice things to it. My only question is what else is there too look for in a higher mileage truck like this one? Like at what point do you crack open the engine and start replacing things to keep the engine fresh?

https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/5374090324.html

Edited by notlimah
  • Like 1

Alright guys so the stars might be aligning and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this truck. Anyone notice any red flags?! He said an edge evo is installed but from what I can tell, only the JWA is available for this year... yes/no?! 

Also, anyone know about these extrude honed injectors he lists?

Edited by notlimah

Thanks for the input!

Trust me, my only real reservations about the truck is the mileage. With that being said, he said it was a flag truck for his trucking company so although 300k is a lot of miles, they shouldn't of been all real HARD miles according to the owner. The problem in this area though is a 6spd, non-53 block with anything less then 200k has been near 20k or more :doh: and I'm not going to pay that regardless of condition, and a lot of times it was a 53 block as well.

I'm planning on keeping this truck for the next 15+ years so eventually a full engine/frame/trans rebuild would be in the works. I've just been looking for this exact combo for quite a while and even though this is got some decent miles on it, its had a single owner and seems to have been kept up pretty good for a 'work truck'

I dunno, am I crazy?! lol