• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for a new truck

• Staff
28 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I think you should start looking other parts of the country for a truck.   A plane ticket and diesel fuel to get home can save you a ton of money.  

Me too! I would be looking for a one owner unmolested under 2 hundred k miles. Even under 1 hundred k miles. I don't know if this is right but I don't care for the sport bumpers and non sport grill. Something is not right there, esp. with the repaint.

• Like 1

Yea I was wondering about that?? gahhh! I sort of assumed they just replaced the bumpers with the sports just for the look.

I've searched in other states for trucks but anything under 200k or even 150k and they want to price it up like 15k plus. I'm really looking to find something cheaper. Have you guys seen a non 53block 6spd at 10k in your area?

That is where I am at when it comes to trucks.  If I can't look at it, I really don't want to buy it.  I've hooked up the trailer and come back empty from getting a car or truck several times. 

Just from a searching through craigslist from different major cities across the country, prices only seem to be slightly better or about the same.

I'm planning on calling him shortly to ask a few more questions, I'll definitely ask about the sport bumpers and repaint and see what sorta vibe I get. He said he didn't have any receipts but he was able to tell me when things were installed on the truck. That made me feel a little weird, but being the company truck it makes sense that they wouldn't keep track of that sort of thing. This truck is about 4.5 hour drive away from me so I'm getting out of area best I can short of getting a one way ticket. If I got there and really didn't get a good feeling after looking it over and driving it, I have no problem walking away. Rather save 10k.

Definitely not saying buying sight unseen is unheard of, and I'm glad you were able to find such a score, I'd just personally rather see before I buy.

7 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5415303031.html

Make this guy an offer. I don't think you could go wrong with it.....

That's a good looking truck for sure. But I'd like to stick with a 24v and the 6spd! I'll keep that one in my back pocket though 

10 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

understandable.  

Honestly if it was a company truck I would expect the records for tax reasons etc, I wouldn't expect him to remember anything if they weren't on record, I mean he has how many trucks in his fleet? 

That does make sense, I'll have to ask about it. Don't know about the fleet size, just seems they used this as the flag truck out from of oversized loads so not sure if it was an official work truck or just 'the work truck'

19 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5415303031.html

Make this guy an offer. I don't think you could go wrong with it.....

Ohhh.... want....  You know the guy?  that picture is at the former Black Hills building at 6th and Indiana just south of the mall.  

Edited by CSM

If it was any closer I'd take a serious look at it. Major issue in my case is I'm active duty so I can't just hop on a plane for and take 3 days to trek back or whatever. Oh, and the 2 month old kit at home doesn't help my case either! hahah :lmao:

Edited by notlimah

24 minutes ago, CSM said:

Ohhh.... want....  You know the guy?  that picture is at the former Black Hills building at 6th and Indiana just south of the mall.  

I don't. Yeah I live by that building. Heck of a nice looking truck!! I would make an offer if I had the money!

Why so set on the 6 speed?

Edited by TFaoro

I guess more personal preference. I asked earlier in this thread if someone could enlighten me on the differences between the 5 & 6 speed because I don't know if there's any pros/cons to one or the other.

If I could get that from him for a price that works for, you want to drive that up to Washington for me?! hahah

Edited by notlimah

6 speeds split the 3-4 gap on the 5 speed.

For high hp applications the 6 speed is stronger.

6 speed is much notchier to shift with any clutch. Can be a bit of a pita with a dual disc.

5 speeds shift smooth as butter with a single disc clutch.

5 speed CAN have issues with the 5th gear nut falling off.

6 speeds have bearing issues if they aren't overfilled with fluid.

5 speeds are significantly easier and cheaper to rebuild.

Personally, I'd run either.

I'd drive it up! Just buy my plane ride home :thumbup2: 

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

• Staff

I think I've heard that the 6 spd is more problematic over time than the 5. Definatly more expensive to rebuild.

Have you thought about employees hammering it on the way back from a flagging trip? Employees barrowing to haul heavy for weekends? I think it's not a one owner in this case. Without records, a paint job and other things that got redone  why on just a flag truck? I sends up big smoke signals to me.... I'd stay away because a company truck usually stays basic stock. It's got big red flag as far as I'm concerned.

9 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

6 speeds split the 3-4 gap on the 5 speed.

For high hp applications the 6 speed is stronger.

6 speed is much notchier to shift with any clutch. Can be a bit of a pita with a dual disc.

5 speeds shift smooth as butter with a single disc clutch.

5 speed CAN have issues with the 5th gear nut falling off.

6 speeds have bearing issues if they aren't overfilled with fluid.

5 speeds are significantly easier and cheaper to rebuild.

Personally, I'd run either.

I'd drive it up! Just buy my plane ride home :thumbup2: 

Thanks for the info man, that's clears things up for sure! What's your definition of high hp on the 6spd?

I just might have to get ahold of this guy and see what he'd want as an outright purchase price. Might take you up on that offer!

7 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I think I've heard that the 6 spd is more problematic over time than the 5. Definatly more expensive to rebuild.

Have you thought about employees hammering it on the way back from a flagging trip? Employees barrowing to haul heavy for weekends? I think it's not a one owner in this case. Without records, a paint job and other things that got redone  why on just a flag truck? I sends up big smoke signals to me.... I'd stay away because a company truck usually stays basic stock. It's got big red flag as far as I'm concerned.

All real valid points. I've only talked with the guy through text messages so I'm trying to have a phone convo and ask some more questions and see how I feel about the situation to see if its even worth the drive to have a look. I'd obviously give it a pretty thorough look through and test drive before I made a final decision, if it even gets to that point. Really appreciate the input though.

Edited by notlimah

I dug around craigs list here around home and was very surprised at what folks wanted for the 2nd gens. Auto 2wd were less, but manual 4wd 5 or 6 speed were ridiculous. If they had less than 200k on them $13K to $16k were the asking prices. Some of the built a few not. Did not expect that around here. Did not expect dirt cheap either.  

Yea Dripley, I don't know what's driving the prices so high but it's definitely surprising to see the prices on these trucks.

I'm just depressed now lol  Here I was thinking I found a good deal and now I'm second guessing it

Edited by notlimah