• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hello all... I was invited by Tyler to come hang out here. He said there was a great bunch of people here. Is this true??? ;-)

Anyway.. Being such a newbie.. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid. Hopefully I can explain this correctly. When I bought the truck about 6 weeks I could feel a little vibration in the steering wheel and both pedals. I attributed it to the motor and figured it was normal being a diesel. Well.. recently it seems to me to be a little more pronounced where it seems to be resonating thoughout the cab.. It happens at idle and driving any speed. It's a very fast vibration and it kind of gives a tingly feeling to my hands and foot. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie
  • Like 1

LOL.. you guys are presenting ??? to me. I'm the newbie. How do I check flex plate or damper? Rear ABS... Yes.. it stops smooth but seems like all my braking is done up front. I don't think pulsing would describe it.. hand tingling vibration is accurate and I can feel it in my foot. It might me a little more pronounced during turns.. 

I just went out and checked again.. in park at idle it's subtle.. accelerating more pronounced. Maybe I'm being paranoid? 

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

The damper (harmonic balancer) is the lowest pulley on the engine right on the end of the crankshaft. You'll see a thin rubber ring that runs around it about an inch from the outside of the pulley. Make sure the rubber isn't squished out or deteriating. It's normal for it to stick out just past flush. 

Okay.. checked damper. Looks okay based on what you said.. yes?

wMUCVzyl.jpg

Flex plate? Can that be felt in park and giving it a little rpms? This past weekend I did an 800 mile round trip with my camper (8500#) and a couple of times when I tried to kick it down a gear by giving it heavy acceleration.. it kicked in out of gear hard.. related? 

Whats wrong with you guys??? The man just bought his first Cummins. That's where the tingly feeling comes from. That's the same thing I felt back in October of 01 when I drove off the dealers lot. It is normal!!!

All kidding aside, Tom, it may be as you describe, a little paranoia and can't add anything to the other suggestions members have offered. So welcome and we will help as much as possible. Sounds like you have a pretty good ride to me.

36 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I hope it is paranoia.. I'd like to get together with someone who has had one for a good while to give mine a look and feel to set my mind at ease.. lol. The more I read about problems.. the more I look for. Yikes...

I never gave it much of a thought for the first 250k, it's the last 110 that keeps me wondering about anything I hear or feel that's seems "odd". Just clicked over 360k this morning!!!

Tom,

Welcome to the forum!  Diagnosing a vibration can be fun! (throwing hammers through windows fun)  It appears that you notice this vibration even at idle and in park. (you need to verify this.  Big difference on what to check.)  Your harmonic balancer looks ok in the picture.

If you notice it sitting still, that narrows it to a rotational vibration (anything on the crankshaft) or the vibration isolators (the motor mounts, transmission/transfer case mount)

I would check the trans/transfer case mount first, as you also noticed a funny shift.  (I use a jack and jack the trans up.  The trans should move with the mount, not relative to it.  

Motor mounts are harder to check, but you have a friend watch the motor move as you have it in drive (or reverse) with brakes fully applied.  

HTH

Hag 

• Like 3