• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lock up problems high voltage

I have been having lockup problems I've tried everything to fix it new tps. Temp senor. battery reminals. And tcc/od noid and still coming out of lock up under light acceleration even with the lock up switch on. So today I tested the middle wire on the trans and have 12.24volts with key on and as soon as I start the truck it jumps up to 13.60 or so then driving down the road with multimeter in cab it jumps up even higher under acceleration when it comes out of lock up to about 14 volts. So I'm wondering if this would cause it to come out of lock up. If I go really easy into the throttle she will stay locked. Idk what else to try I'm about sick of messing with it any help will be greatly appreciated I just want my truck to drive the way it used to.Truck is a 1995 dodge cummins with a 47rh. I just changed trans and torque converter because of this problem only to find out my trans and tc was fine its something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My first post here let me know if I'm forgetting something thank you very much

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Voltage is normal.  Remember our trucks battery should put out 12.6 volts but in order to change a 12.6v battery you need to input more, so our alternators put out 14.2 ish.  Any 12v power source will put out 13-14 volts when running.

Can you give more details on how the tc comes out of lockup?  Does it jump out of lockup or slip out? Any shudder?  When does it go into lockup?

• 3 years later...

Pleeeeaaassse continue this thread!!!! Truck is doin same thing! 95 auto (mild build) have od & lockup switches installed. When I goto ground out the wire to switch it arts and never locks up also when I kill the truck and key is off the overdrive switch is turned off in the oil light and check engine light barely stay lit on dash and you can still hear computer noise until you flip that switch

• Owner
5 hours ago, CUMMINS_KING said:

When I goto ground out the wire to switch it arts and never locks up

Sound like there is a shorted out TQ Conv lock up solenoid. 

5 hours ago, CUMMINS_KING said:

when I kill the truck and key is off the overdrive switch is turned off in the oil light and check engine light barely stay lit on dash and you can still hear computer noise until you flip that switch

You have for sure electrical issues. Some how there is a back feed of power getting back to the dash. I would have to say the power supplying the TQ Conv lock up. Then the solenoid is fired being it is arcing. All circuits need to be checked for proper fuses. That TQ Conv solenoid needs to be replaced. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man