• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help Identifying Big Leak (Probable Vacuum Pump)

So I noticed yesterday that I had a decent little puddle of oil under my motor yesterday when I went outside.  Nothing huge, but more than the nothing I usually see.  I'm having a hard time figuring what it might be though.  I kind of figured it was the vacuum pump leaking, but I don't see an actual leak from the junction point between the power steering and vacuum pump.  It might be coming from further forward.  I'm getting most of the leakage down onto my pitman arm, then blowing over my front suspension etc. 

What I've Noticed: 

-Oil dripping down the driver's side near the frontish part of the motor, definitely somewhere behind the timing cover.  Most drips down onto the pitman arm.

-No leaking evident from tappet cover, and I think I can see it pretty good.

-Power steering is down a little (between hot and add, when the engine is hot), but that's not surprising, as I know the hydroboost is leaking a tiny bit at the brake pedal, but I suppose it could be power steering fluid.

-Oil might be down a hair (maybe half a quart), but it could be just from being on uneven ground. 

My Question:

Is there anything I can do to pinpoint the leak?  Anything I should be doing that might make it more evident?  Maybe have someone turn the wheel while I'm under there with it running?

It amazes me how much the air will blow the oil around under the hood. My tappet cover gasket failed and it looked like everything was leaking. The part f it behind the VP is hard to see. Mine was visible elsewhere which made it easier to diagnose.If you can clean it up and dry it off good you would have a better chance of seeing the source.

Nates,

There are a couple places for the vacuum pump to leak oil.  1) Gasket to front timing cover (least likely) 2) rear seal where the drive coupling exits to drive the power steering pump. 3) oil feed line.

You will just have to clean the area well and use mirrors to see where it is coming from.  Hope you find it!   http://www.fixinrams.com/ has some great pictures of the vacuum pump apart so you might be able to see better what you are looking at/for.

HTH

Hag

vacuum pump.png

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

umm, what locktite number?   Some of the red stuff is WAY to tough for what you want haha.

Boy do you have that right, I just sat through a 2 hour class put on by a Loctite rep for our shop earlier this week and I was mind blown at how many different products they have now, it was a class with a ton of literature on which product is the best in any application and the proper way to use them. Covered Anaerobic sealers and thread locking and retaining products.

Was a very good hands on class.

• Like 1

blue loctite 242 should be fine or really any of the loctite blue's.  These days you need to ensure you pay attention to the loc tite number.  you don't want to end up putting red loctite 272/263/268 on there lol, unless you wanna use a blow torch to get it off again.

Just pay attention to the specs of the loctite.

Edited by Me78569

27 minutes ago, Nates1999 said:

So....

What should i put on the threads where it screws into the cover?

Final count was 1 missing stud w/ nut, 2 missing nuts, 1 hand tight nut holding the pump.

Lots of reading about it here.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/vehicle-repair-and-maintenance-threadlockers-22093.htm

• Like 1