• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it worth adding 2-cycle oil to a P7100 truck?

I know it helps save the VP44 pumps but what about a P7100? I think it would be beneficial but I would like to here from those with more experience on the matter. If it is a good idea, what ratio of oil to fuel should I use? Just for clarification there is nothing wrong with my pump, I'm simply looking at preventive maintenance practices. 

5 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

I know it helps save the VP44 pumps but what about a P7100? I think it would be beneficial but I would like to here from those with more experience on the matter. If it is a good idea, what ratio of oil to fuel should I use? Just for clarification there is nothing wrong with my pump, I'm simply looking at preventive maintenance practices. 

Just as Mike said, it helps lubricate, so it definitely doesn't hurt! It will actually improve mileage a bit as well.

I'd do the same as us VP guys and go 128:1 or 1oz of oil per 1 gallon of diesel.

• Like 1

• Owner

Even though the P7100 is oil lubricated for the cam inside but the rest of the fuel system is fuel lubricated. There is still lots of metal on metal contact like pintle/needle and nozzle inside the injectors. Your lift pump is fuel lubricated.

55 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

It will actually improve mileage a bit as well.

That's because as cetane goes down the BTU's go up. 2 cycle oil is a natural cetane reducer.

cetane-btu3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

We aim to please... :cool:

I got that written in the outhouse, followed by "you aim too please".

I've been doing some back to back testing with different mods, I'm gonna put 2 stroke oil on the list!

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 2

On Mon Nov 23 2015 10:34:14 GMT-0600, Mopar1973Man said:

All US diesel fuel is rated for ~520 HFRR.

Bosch's requirements is...

bosch-testing.jpg

Remember all modern diesel typically has 2%-5% biodiesel in it so the HFRR value is around 380 if the percentage of biodiesel is 5%. Regardless I add 1 Oz to every gallon of TC-W3 2 stroke oil. Biodiesel in itself improves combustion so the loss of cetane is minimal. So to answer the OP's question yes two stroke oil will help you regardless and is a cheap investment.

• Owner
11 hours ago, Vais01 said:

Remember all modern diesel typically has 2%-5% biodiesel in it so the HFRR value is around 380 if the percentage of biodiesel is 5%.

Not exactly. Like here in Idaho there is little to no biodiesel sold. No like Oregon is mandated for 5% Bio, Minnesota again is another state mandated for bio diesel usage. So depends on the state your in if you'll have bio-diesel or not. 

As for the loss...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Petroleum diesel will always have more BTU's vs Biodiesel. Just like Clear Gasoline will always have more BTU's than ethanol.

As for cetane.. (Quoted from ASTM testing Labs)

The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

interesting.  I'll have to try it and make a couple before/after runs to see if it helps with power!

My reason for doing it is to make sure the pump is properly lubricated, I did notice that it seemed to run smoother overall.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

interesting.  I'll have to try it and make a couple before/after runs to see if it helps with power!

Not sure if you will add power maybe free up 5 to 10 or so horsepower just due to reduced resistance in the pump all thanks to lubricity. 

• 1 month later...

The Super Tech 2-cycle oil that Walmart sells is right at $13 a gallon out the door. A rebuilt P7100 is $1500+, not counting labor. $1500 will buy 115 gallons of 2-cycle oil, enough to treat 14,769 gallons of diesel, which (assuming an average of 15 mpg) is enough to travel 221,535 miles.

Would my pump require a rebuild/replacement in the next 200k miles if I didn't use 2-cycle oil? There's no way to know for sure. What I AM sure of is that ULS diesel does NOT meet Bosch's minimum lubricity requirements. Another thing that factors in (for me) is that it will take 15+ years to run up 200k miles on my truck, so overall I consider it cheap insurance. 

• Like 1

• Owner
8 minutes ago, catnhat said:

I can really notice when I forget/runout of oil the motor is noticeable louder

That's because 2 cycle oil is a natural cetane reducer. This causes the fuel to burn slower. High cetane fuel is like striking the piston with a hammer. Sudden blow.

Edited by Mopar1973Man