• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Random ABS light and weird braking performance

• Owner

Well the ABS module is boxed up and on its way in 2 Day Priority Mail flat rate box.

Now I can tell you that deleting the ABS unit is not possible. You lose ABS of course, speedometer, odometer, any kind of trip computer is dead including ScanGauge II. Cruise control is dead. High Idle will not cancel from movement now. So you can launch in any gear in a manual transmission and high idle will drag you around. Another thing found is grid heaters do not cancel because f there is no speed signal. So you grid heater keep cycling while you drive. All I can say is I still have high hopes that Module Master will correct this issue and get the ABS module back to me soon.

I've got to admit I've learn quite a bit about ABS modules in this short amount of time.

• Like 2

Well this may sound odd but if you want to try it may help. If you know how to MEG wires I would do that. Chances are a wire break somewhere within the system. 

I know it's a long shot but if you or someone you know has the tooling and knowledge to do it I'd give it a whirl.

• Owner

I got a phone call back from Module Masters. Nothing wrong with my ABS module. It was bench tested for over 24 hours at different speeds no errors. Now before he tested it the tech pulled all the codes and there was several front sensor codes and excessive dump codes. After pulling the codes, he cleared it and bench tested the module for 24 hours. No issues. So that points me back to a wiring issue.

Now I've been doing the article work and ran across the ABS module article and was re-reding it again. I wonder if my problem isn't a darn bad fuse? I know I've preached about cracked fuses and I know I tested the power and everything to that module. What got me going this route is the fact I get a short period of time without lights and the POP the light come on for no reason. I wonder if the fuse is just opening up and tripping the lights because of lack of communication? I know there are 2 fuses for this system. Just shooting from the hip till I get my module back to figure this mess out.

IMG]alligator%20jumper%20test%20clips.jpg

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So that points me back to a wiring issue.

Hi all, i'm  new to this forum.

You know what, how about you bypass all the wiring from the front ABS sensors with alligator jumper test clips, for testing purposes only.

All front sensors are on the 4 pin plug.

Refer to the service manual.

FYI... We've now got a service manual for the ABS braking system for the 2nd Generation trucks. Thanks to Diesel Pl on CF.com

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/files/file/92-2nd-gen-abs-braking-system/

Edited by Chris O.
just messing around

• Owner

I really don't think it's a speed sensor issue. I no longer have pulling either left or right. Speedometer works fine. It just the light pop on without even touching the brake pedal. So there is a slim possibly of the speed sensors in the front are still goofy. Come on 3 different sets now? Kind of hard to believe.

Heck I can have a speed sensor sale with all the sensors laying around.

• Owner

That was suggested to me as well by the tech to spend the $1000 and buy Mopar Wheel bearings with sensors. (Choke!) The reason he suggest it because the last set of errors on the module where for the front speed sensors. Which I replaced since then.  Better have two smoking guns before I lay down a $1000 on bearings and front sensors. :thud:

• $130 on the ABS module being rebuilt
  • $100 in fuel for the first go around for delivery and pickup of the module
  • $200 on the Innova 31603 tool that doesn't work for my vehicle
  • $120 on two front speed sensors from Napa
  • $0 Then two other sets of donated front speed sensors from CTCummins.
Edited by Mopar1973Man

On my 03 hemi, I had too much grease in the bearing and it made the ABS pulse on and off, but my light would stay off. I took a flat head and cleaned the grease of each tooth and it was fine after that. 

I went through 2 sets of front sensors on the cummins with no avail. I had some play in my bearings too so I replaced the unit bearings, which came with the sensors and that didn't help my light issue either.  Checked all the wiring, it was good. Then had mopar install a new ABS module and reflash and it's been good since.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

On my 03 hemi, I had too much grease in the bearing and it made the ABS pulse on and off, but my light would stay off. I took a flat head and cleaned the grease of each tooth and it was fine after that. 

I went through 2 sets of front sensors on the cummins with no avail. I had some play in my bearings too so I replaced the unit bearings, which came with the sensors and that didn't help my light issue either.  Checked all the wiring, it was good. Then had mopar install a new ABS module and reflash and it's been good since.

Interesting wonder what's different and what the reflash did?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

I'm one step closer. I've managed to keep the ABS & BRAKE lights turned off now. But still getting random right side pulling and ABS pumping.

What I found is one post over on CF where one gent mention having bearing grease in the tone wheel and cleaning it out with a screwdriver and a rag. I simply pulled the ABS sensors using compressed air and blowgun blew the grease out of the tone wheel teeth. Presto! lights are staying off. I sure do wish I would of left the shims in though...

I've got to do it one more time... :doh: Hopefully the last time...

• Like 2

I get to do similar.  I replaced a hub bearing before christmas, and during the trip ended up destroying the cable from the passenger wheel hub since the rotor dust shield was damaged and I didn't reinstall it.  I thought I had the cable clear of the rotor, but I didn't.

I have a new shield on order and thankfully I kept the OEM sensor.  

• Owner

I got the shims back under the sensors and only a couple of random lights at the beginning. Then it seems to straighten out like it's got a learning mode? (Unknown). Can't find an icy spot to play that I can get enough speed to trip the ABS braking. I think its engaged a few times but it sure don't feel like the old unit did this is almost phantom like.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2016 at 11:07 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Just found out the ABS module is for sure good. I just did a temporary test from a clients truck to find out both modules behave the same. So that means there is sensor / hub issues in the front. :think:

i been following your ABS saga here and on CF. Curious did you find something in the hub. My old 01.5 I sold had pretty much same issue as yours. I was into her for $1000 before i gave up and unplugged the ABS plug.

Edited by moparguy55