• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Because, Roadkill. If you like wrenching for the sake of wrenching, come on in.

CSM

There are a lot of car shows out there.  A lot of crappy "reality shows" that really are scripted and then there is this show.  It is possibly the best show ever.  Yes, better than Top Gear.  

I grew up going to the library and spending DAYS reading through old copies of HOT ROD magazine.  I love cars and HOT ROD.  If you are similarly afflicted, I have a show for you.  

ROADKILL... 

This show is great.  It is two guys, the Editor and Assoc. Editor ot HOT ROD going out and doing real car stuff.  Some of it absurd, but it isn't scripted, and it isn't syndicated.  These guys are making some money off of it, but aren't controlled by some network focus group.  Check it out.  Probably my favorite episode, is when they take an A Body Plymouth Barracuda out of a Junkyard, drive it several hundred miles to a legit drag race in Tx.  The wife's favorite is when they buy a Craigslist low rider and put swampers on it. 

Below is a link to their shows, all free, on youtube. 

If you like Roadkill, check out some of the other Hot Rod offerings on the Motor Trend channel.  I also like the following two channels.  

Mr Pete 222, aka Tubalcain, the master of metals. This guy is a retired machinist and shop teacher.  I would call him a mechanical rock star in some ways.  Did you ever wonder how to properly sharpen drill bits?  Did you ever wonder how to properly use files?  Did you ever wonder how to do some lathe operations or basic machining?  Did you know that Aluminum and Steel require different tapping lubricants!???  Check this guy out.  It is like the shop class I never had.  

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222

And, coldwarmotors.  This is a crazy Canuck with a lot of time and friends who rescues some amazing old Iron from the crusher and keeps it on his property, almost like a moving museum.  You can see him take some amazingly trashed old cars from the junk yard and make them drive.  I covet his 72 Chrysler land yacht.  

https://www.youtube.com/user/coldwarmotors

The most recent Roadkill, was a  old mini pickup with a Toronado transaxle and Olds 455 in the bed.  Kinda like a Mazda-Olds-Porsche thing.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

• Staff

I have to admit getting out the wrenches can be real satisfying when you get it fixed. Avoiding the dealership or expense of a mechanic with a 3 foot long bill is just icing on the cake.

This just happened with my JD 455 when the alternator froze up and burnt the fan belt. I took apart the alternator and changed out a bearing. (new alt is almost $400) Lucky it was not the bearing needing a press to get it out, it was the one nearest the pulley that froze up. It took a couple tries to get the right part and the design required dropping the driveshaft to install a new belt. I was afraid of getting something wrong, but didn't give up and am happy to report she runs real smooth now. That bearing must have been bad for a long time since I was not used to it running so smoothly now.:thumb1:

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed fixing things and making improvements. I've had some really cool projects in mind but haven't been able to do them. When I was working 100+ hrs a week running hot shot, doing wrench jobs, and pressure testing, I had plenty of money but no time. Now after being laid off umpteen times because the oilfield took a dump I've got plenty of time but not enough money :doh:.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Hammer said:

I use to work on these, specifically Ajax and Waukesha. I miss it. 

Thats awesome!  I love those old engines.  

I was oilfield too.  I covered Frac, Wireline, & Seismic.  Did the gas boom, then the gas bust, then the oil boom.  Thankfully, I am skipping the oil bust.  Hopefully things stabilize soon.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dripley said:

Mazdaratti. That looked like fun.

Very much fun.  The General Mayhem 68 Charger with the motor home 440 is probably my favorite.  Followed by the Crop Duster. 

Edited by CSM

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, BBHD said:

How about a regular can shortbed 3/4 ton 1965? I've got one in Blackhawk:poke:

It better be darn near free... haha.  I never turn down parts, but I don't like that body style as much as the slightly newer ones. 

Edited by CSM

Thanks, but aside from general curiosity and love of old machinery, I don't really need a 65 Dodge truck.  :)  I can dream of a crew cam 70-71 though.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...