• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cowboys Head Porting Endeavor

40 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

A lot, the "standard design" is basically junk.  The improved design is right up there with the cummins one.

Have a picture?  I've been told by several builders to only use Cummins or Victor Reinz gaskets.

I gave it a paint job yesterday,  but more importantly to this thread I painted the inside of the intake white to help reflect heat in the head keeping the intake charge cooler, small gains if any but figured it was worth it.

IMG_1410.jpg

Also painted the inside of the exhaust with 2000* paint, same theory as above, though doubt it will stay clean for long.  :cool:

IMG_1421.jpg

back when I was in the research mode for head porting, each picture was worth a thousand words, SOOOOOOO.

How the head looked when it came off.

IMG_1047.jpg

Stock:

IMG_1059.jpgIMG_1061.jpg

Now:

IMG_1355.jpgIMG_1356.jpgscreenshot_88.jpg
screenshot_89.jpgscreenshot_90.jpg

screenshot_97.jpg

screenshot_91.jpg

screenshot_99.jpgscreenshot_98.jpg

screenshot_92.jpgscreenshot_93.jpgscreenshot_94.jpgscreenshot_95.jpgscreenshot_96.jpg

Edited by Cowboy

I'm fairly confident, but to be on the safe side I went with two very light coats, just enough to actually be white, so if it does chip, it will just be very small flakes if not powder. 

12 hours ago, Cowboy said:

I gave it a paint job yesterday,  but more importantly to this thread I painted the inside of the intake white to help reflect heat in the head keeping the intake charge cooler, small gains if any but figured it was worth it.

IMG_1410.jpg

Also painted the inside of the exhaust with 2000* paint, same theory as above, though doubt it will stay clean for long.  :cool:

IMG_1421.jpg

Would paint flaking be an issue?

On Monday, December 07, 2015 at 7:57 AM, Cowboy said:

Possibly, but here in MO, it's that or rust.  The paint is just a thin coat, so if it does flake, it shouldn't do any harm, at least I hope.

If the paint has a ceramic resin it should not flake or peal if the prep work was done right. Looking good bud. Hope she purrs when your done reassembling the truck. Also buy yourself some cheap dino oil of your choice, run the engine for a few to check everything out then after everything is good drain it replace your filter and add fresh oil. This will help remove any contamination that may have found its way in during the time everything has been a part.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm waiting to see it start up with it fresh head and gasket...

You missed it, that was last week haha.  Though it's down again, but should be up and running within a week.  I took it easy on the fresh head gasket, so no comparisons.  I'm waiting on some stuff in the mail, and then the time to install it.

Once it's together, I'll be able to make some runs!

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Cowboy said:

You missed it, that was last week haha.  Though it's down again, but should be up and running within a week.  I took it easy on the fresh head gasket, so no comparisons.  I'm waiting on some stuff in the mail, and then the time to install it.

Once it's together, I'll be able to make some runs!

What happened?

Well basically, there was a loose nut under the hood, which required me to bring something to a machine shop, well unbeknownst to me the guy's name was richard....  I've give you the full story once it pans out.