• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So what do yall' like to do besides work on trucks?

The_Hammer

I'm just curious what everyone's other interests are. Here are some of mine. 

*Shooting/training with firearms as well as hunting. 

*I live on a river and I'm only 45 minutes from the bay so I like to fish, a lot lol.

*Camping, hiking, building survival skills, ect. 

*I play electric and acoustic guitar, just about all genres, even had a band back in early 2000. 

*Refinishing, modding, and general luthier work on guitars. 

*Metal fabrication

*I went through a large part of my life trying to cope with undiagnosed and very severe ADD/ADHD. Now that it's under control I enjoy learning as much as I can. 

O man, I guess living is hard enough these days. With little kids sometimes it's hard to plan on anything just kind of day at the time. Shooting is always fun if you can afford the ammo. Love fishing up in Canada and places alike, little off-road (trail/mud) not doing as much as I would like to and limited on locations to do it at. Backyard fire and food is always fun. There is always something to fix on the old Dodge mainly, Cummins seems to be fine. Split and burn wood by choice. Trying to enjoy what I got cause you never know.  

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

• Owner

Hmmmm....

During the summer time I spend most of my time out in the woods either cutting firewood, camping, hiking, ATV riding.

post-1-0-10315800-1443713858_thumb.jpg

Which goes hand in hand with Search and Rescue which I volunteer for Idaho County Sheriffs office and the Salmon River Fire Dept. As for the fire Dept I'm a Station Captain so I've got a crew under myself as well.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/topic/10343-tepee-fire/

Come winter time like right now I enjoy the web site. Not so much as a user but the server administrator and coder. Like this evening I was playing with CSS3 code and playing with site styling just for fun. This below was just being creative because I was bored.

5663a2a9320fa_playinaround.thumb.png.7d1

As for my 9 to 5 job. Well I'm self-employed mechanic here in the valley. Been doing Dodge Cummins repairs and modifications for locals. I've been contracted by a local that has a total of six Dodge trucks in his fleet to maintain.

• Like 2

Work...  Lots of work.  Two jobs actually, although both have periods of downtime which makes the internet a nice outlet.  

After that 

old cars, specifically old Mopars.  

Hunting / Fishing / Shooting / reloading

Used to downhill ski a lot, but I haven't been able to do that the past few years for various reasons.  

• Like 2

Working toward retirement Is may favorite thing for now. 3 years and 4 months and I am going home. In my spare time I enjoy the golf course, building things for myself instead of others, coin collecting and woodworking, not much time for that one though. I dont mind working on the truck but driving it is alot more fun. I am on the road most all year so finding time for anything else is difficult sometimes,

@Dieselfuture

Camping, fishing, ect, is easy for me to do because of where I live. I can get home from work, grab a couple rods and reels, and walk down to the river. During the summer I leave my 16' jon boat in the river and run drop lines. If it wasnt for living right on the water out here I wouldn't be able to fish or camp. 

IMAG1860.thumb.jpg.41e2da825a0209b713659rps20151206_224313.thumb.jpg.4d84ef9272frps20151206_224406.thumb.jpg.95eec7f94e1

@Mopar1973Man

Our local VFD is just a place to hang out and drink, which I found out after talking to a buddy who was a member. It sucks because I wanted to join and be able to help people, not get drunk and f off. It's pretty cool that you have a team!

Winter isn't bad here, it does freeze but not for more than a couple days in a row. I'm out and about doing stuff most of time. I got laid off awhile back after the oilfield took a dump and have been working with a friend doing brush clearing, tree removal, fence building, and anything else I can find. Last couple of weeks have been slow though. One John Deere skidsteer burst in to flames due to a factory wiring issue and is currently being repaired under warranty, and the other blew a water pump so we're stuck waiting on parts.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

What do you do for wok? 

Driving is more fun... but I firmly believe my truck hates me. 

I am a construction superintendent for the past 30 years. Mainly restaurants, both fast and casual. Been building mainly Chick-Fil-a's for the past 18 years from the east coast out to Oklahoma and anywhere in between. We are licensed in 34 states and you never know where you are going to be.

As far as the truck goes, it has only left me stranded 3 times in the 14 years I have driven it. Bad lift pump and a bad ECM twice. I never thought back in 01 that she would still be pulling my arse and trailer this well. 

• Like 1

When I am not working I am working on sides jobs at a farm or helping friends with their projects(houses and trucks).  At the farm I drive tractor often during the summer too, I love do that.  I do a little R/C racing when I can at a local indoor track, mainly during the winter.  Otherwise out working in the garage or go and help my father with his restoration projects.  Currently working a 1933 Chevy pickup. 

For work I work for a company that builds backhoes for John Deere, Mahindra, Yanmar and Caterpillar mainly.  I am tester so I find the leaks.  Before that I worked on dairy farms for 15 years. 

Edited by ABennin

Other than work on my truck??? Breaking it and work under it would be the first two things that come to mind.  This certain truck has occupied most my free time for over 3 years now, and people are always suprised that I A)still work on it not to mention enjoy it.  And B)there's anything left to be monkeyed with!  While we're on this subject, years ago when I got my first CTD, me and a friend each hauled a load a goats to the sale barn, mine was an stock auto, which has governor issues making so it won't rev very high making it pretty lame, and his was a 5spd 99 with a chip and HO pump...  Anyhow I got an ear full over the CB.  That trip fueled my obsession with these 12V's, and I'm proud to announce that going from 900 RPM to 3000 in 4th takes his truck ~ 22 seconds.  Doing the same with my current truck (back when it was working) takes ~18 seconds....  He doesn't know yet, but next time he drives it he'll figure it out. :woot:

Other then that, living on a farm has it's perks.  Got ponds full of fish... that have not been fished in years.  Back when I fished more, I got a 32.5" Catfish, and a 36" carp out of it, along with a 11" bluegill.

I used to really enjoy plinking with the 22, but ammo got expensive and more importantly, hard to come by.  My gun of choice was a Savage Mark 2 I've had forever, we'd shoot pop cans out to 300 yards with just cheap walmart ammo.  Remington ammo is cheaper, less accurate, and due to the large hollow point, if you shoot a small bird it will literally blow it up making it hard to anything but feathers.  Federals were OK, but they're hollow points were a joke, making it so you had to hit something dead on to make it go down, so we used it for target practice only.  The Winchesters were a good bullet, they'd only fragment if it was a larger animal (squirrel, crow, *cough* turkey *cough*).  You could get a dime sized group at 50 yards.  On all that coughing, one thanksgiving we wanted turkey, so instead of grabbing a shotgun which has an effective range of maybe 40 yards on a good day.  I grabbed the 22 and popped him in the head at 70 yards haha.

Other than that I enjoy forums obviously, it's like a cross word puzzle, but the rewards a far greater.

And I also enjoy making/designing things.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 2

Now that the Dodge is not my daily driver, I love working on it on the weekends. I am about to buy some land back in Massachusetts in the woods and build my first house! This will take up most of time as soon as we purchase the land, and then I'll GC the house!

-shooting on occasion

-hiking with the goldens

-basketball and weight lifting

-anything outside/hands on related, cutting/splitting wood, landscaping, construction

-spending time with my family, really close nit family

Did some surveying/wetland diliniation and some deep holes for the septic this weekend...the Dodge was there :)

And ripping out rotten/moldy wood in the rental house and killing mold

013 (5).JPG

011.JPG

018.JPG

Ice Fishing, wish I could do it all year

Shooting and Reloading

Camping and Fishing---Hunting if I have to (My boy loves it more than I)

Gardening and Yard work

We raise and process our own chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese.

4H Projects for my boys, they raise Hogs and Lambs for the county fairs

This is what I like doing in my free time

9 hours ago, CSM said:

Hunting / Fishing / Shooting / reloading

I always wondered how many people on here also reload.  I just loaded 100 rounds of .45, another 300 rounds and I'll be set for next year.  I've been working on loads for my 7MM-08 and I have got that pretty dialed in.  When the weather warms up I hope to play around with it to see if I can really come up with a nice load.

I am also in the market for a new rifle.  I've been looking at a Browning X Bolt in .300 Win Mag.  There are lots of options for reloading for that and you can really get that bullet moving.

We'll have to compare notes sometime.

I have been doing some casting as well.  I have a setup for my 45-70 trapdoor and hopefully I will get to try and shoot some this next year!  I want to get a mold for my 44. 

• Like 1

Annoying people by making technical corrections most every day in many different ways. I do this as a hard wired trait I was born with I guess. My wife still has not learned to read me after 23 years together because I do it seriously and I do it jokingly and have a monotone way of doing it which drives everyone crazy who has know me most of my life. I thinks its fun. I know this as every forum I am part of has most thinking I am an ****** not being able to see my face while I type, heck I have a half evil grin on my face as I type this.

Other than that I try not to work on my rigs unless its broke or preventative anymore, after 20+ years of doing it for a living and then doing my own have learned its not fun anymore. I am trying to spend more time enjoying life rather than making more work for myself.

Difference between work and play.

If I am sweating and not having fun it is work. If I am sweating and I don't know it I must be enjoying myself.

I try and spend as much time in on and around the water as possible as the season and weather allows. My dream is to be living in South West Florida within a few years and finding a job in the marine industry of some sort, not sure what or where this will lead me but as long as I am working a job that allows me to enjoy the year round warmth and water is good for me.

I have many hobbies I have either once been into and lost interest or just do not have time for anymore. I used to do a ton of reloading but don't shoot as much as I used to. For hunting a box of 20 rifle shells will last me about 10 years. I do not miss too often. Last 2 deer I have taken several years ago were 500 & 600+ yards with a 22-250, my old main go to was a 30-06 but I have many other guns now and love my hand guns more now days, even do a lot of my hunting with them rather than rifle as I like the challenge.

My wife and I like to travel and spend money on life experiences now rather than "Stuff", Have had lots of friends and family die over the years and have had to help clean out homes and during this process realize all the "Stuff" one collects means little to others as we haul most to second hand stores or pitch it or let others take what they want, seeing this has made my wife and I realize travel and experiencing life is more important than "Stuff" we live simple, no cable satellite only replace things due to need or breakage ect, heck our newest tv is 10 years old and the other is about 25 years old.

I tell my wife if it has no practical use it has no place in our home.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 2

I've been reloading .40 S&W, .38, .357, .45 ACP, .30-30, and 7MM-08.  I've never got into casting, not sure it is even something I'm interested in but I've watched a few you tube videos on it.  I just watched a guy review a .22 reloading kit.  It came with a mold, primer material, and crimpers.  It was a real interesting video but certainly not worth the work--for .22 bullets.  maybe one day I'll get into casting some bullets.

the_hammer what powder is hard to find?  Last year rifle powder and pistol powder was non existent.  last Spring the rifle powder became more common and now pistol powder is pretty easy to find.  It sucks not being able to find what you are looking for.  And you are right, shipping that stuff isn't cheap.

Edited by Hawkez

I got really lucky with finding my wife. She grew up not having much being the youngest of 7 kids on a small dairy farm. She likes the simple life and has no problems with it, heck she actually has to real me in most days. That diagram would be my wife on top and me on the bottom according to her most days lol.

• Like 1

haha.  Yea I love my Wife, she is awesome, since she is so awesome I am ok with some buttons....Even if they are sometimes dead shorted

:smart:

:ahhh:

:spank:

As for me I like to tinker.  If you asked my Wife she would tell you that I like to find small meaningless issues and create a VERY complex fix in place.  

Horses, chickens, dogs, guns, trucks, cooking, fishing, 

DSC01802_zps4bf3667b.jpg

DSC08902_zpsdd77660b.jpg

DSC01219_zpsb4b234f6.jpg

• Like 1