• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New 2009 need help making sure I have basics down

Mar25

Hello I have done what I new be thought to do and got rid of my 1999 5.9 for a 2009 6.7 now with that being said the truck has 110,000 miles and is an automatic 4wd the truck is plain stock has the egr and dpf on it. I plan on leaving for a trip to Colorado next week and will not delete the truck more then likely till I'm back due to already gonna spend a good amount on trip. My question is what is reccomended to do to the truck the mean time. The truck does get a bad bounce at 60mph+ but the tires are balled so I'm guessing it is that the dealership is replacing the tie-rods and track bar. Sorry for the long message but would really appreciate some help on this new truck

• Owner

As long as the truck is used for highway travel I don't think you'll have much problems with the DPF / EGR.

As for the suspension I would just go through it and replace any wore out parts and move on. Shocks don't last forever so you might be needing to replace those.

I would inspect all fluids and change anything that is questionable. Don't forget coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid these are a few of the most forgotten fluids.

On December 12, 2015 at 8:40 AM, JAG1 said:

Sounds like bad shock absorbers, but the stock ones don't last long. Try and get around 500 off the price for putting in some good ARB's or Bilstien's.

I'm guessing a possibility but want to get tires first and see if that helps being said the other ones are  completely done.  

On December 12, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

As long as the truck is used for highway travel I don't think you'll have much problems with the DPF / EGR.

As for the suspension I would just go through it and replace any wore out parts and move on. Shocks don't last forever so you might be needing to replace those.

I would inspect all fluids and change anything that is questionable. Don't forget coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid these are a few of the most forgotten fluids.

I am gonna be driving it on the trip, but once I'm back its gonna be my daily driver and it's mainly town driving, would delelting it then be a good time within a couple months or sooner?

i had a buddy of mine that is a mechanic on big diesels check it out and he is the one that pointed out tie-rods and track bar other then that he mentioned was in good shape but would need changing in near future I am also considerin putting a steering stabilizer before I leave would that be a smart thing to do or not?

The dealership are changing the things mentioned earlier in the front end and also the transmission oil with both filters due to the seal was leaking and also they are changing the transfer case oil due to a bad output shaft seal and replacing it as well. I am having a buddy of mine clean out the egr system that works for a dodge dealership as well as I do want do a coolant flush would a new thermostat be a recommendation also?

thanks for the help I appreciate it 

On December 13, 2015 at 7:58 PM, IBMobile said:

Before replacing shocks see how it drives with the new tires first. Always fix what you know is wrong first because sometimes that takes care of other problems/systems.  

That's what I'm doing Tuesday is getting new tires due to the others being completely not usable lol ??

• Owner
11 hours ago, Mar25 said:

would delelting it then be a good time within a couple months or sooner?

Depends on your operating pyrometer temperature. If you not reaching above 1000*F for extended periods you most likely going to have issues in town. All I can say is to drive it and see if it complains about regen-ing to much.

11 hours ago, Mar25 said:

I do want do a coolant flush would a new thermostat be a recommendation also?

I would change it out and hold on to the old thermostat as a fall back.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends on your operating pyrometer temperature. If you not reaching above 1000*F for extended periods you most likely going to have issues in town. All I can say is to drive it and see if it complains about regen-ing to much.

I would change it out and hold on to the old thermostat as a fall back.

Would u recommend guages or a edge insight for guages due to truck has none at all.

and I will defiantly due that thank you for the help is there anything else to learn more for beginners on the 6.7

• 2 months later...
  • Owner

It true stock typically speaking it safe to drive without gauges. If you planning on towing at all or hauling any kind of weight I would highly suggest you consider the gauges. Personally, from what I know of the newer generation trucks with 6.7L engines, I would opt for the gauges because then you can monitor your EGT's and get them hot enough to keep the DPF cleared out.