• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Repairing Electric Seat

• Owner

Hey Gang...

I figured I would share my attempt at fixing my electric driver seat on my 1996 Dodge Ram. Now when I started the motor wouldn't even turn. So I verified the power was coming from the switch. Rock the switch one way you got power and rock it the other and power again but reversed polarity which is correct. No I grabbed a Allen socket and turned the motor a bit by had and it got loosen up. Then I can hit the switch and the motor turns for a short time binds up. (sigh) something is wrong in the gears. So after slowing ratching the motor around I was able to get the seat high enough to pull the 4 bolts in the seat bottom and just lay in the back seat area. Now I got good working room.

DSCF6743.JPG.30a462417338e0dff6e23adb236

Now you'll need a rod or in my case I used a small #1 Phillips screw driver and a hammer to knock out the 2 pins. There is one pin holding the motor and the other pin holding the screw casing to the seat frame. Now from here I got the motor out and the gear case is just a couple of small hex head metal screws. As you'll see the both gears are damaged. One is completely broke the tip off and the other split the gear (not shown).

DSCF6745.JPG.1b25dcddee1976028b02dfe925b

Now using lacquer thinner I cleaned both gears up and got all the grease off the gears. Next using some Gorilla Glue and a razor blade I was able to push the Gorilla Glue all the way down in the cracks really well. Using my table vise I clamped the gear carefully to squeeze the plastic back together and allow the glue to set up. 

DSCF6747.JPG.c9246343d6fedc6a0a3c03334a8

This will be easy to clean up with a small shop knife or file to clean the gear up. Now I moved on to the broken gear. Found it was hollow so I hunted around the shop for something solid I can place in the core of the gear to give strength after gluing. I found a metal clothes hanger and snip a very small chunk off. Light reamed out the hole just enough to make it solid.

DSCF6748.JPG.c299d9a4384271da39719ac2e62

So I'm waiting for the one gear to set up right now and then I'll glue this gear as well.

• Owner

Unknown. It's been broke since the day I bought the truck back in 2001. Since MoparMom and myself agreed to put effort into these truck and fix what I can. Since The_Hammer is starting a interior thread I figured I put some effort into the truck today.

Educated guess. It did bind up at some point. The previous owner used pilers or channel locks to spin the rod to adjust the seat. Sad part is I've got a seat from a 2000 Dodge but the motors are way different. I'm going to place these 2000 Dodge seat motors up for sale.

I'm going to head into town and get plastic epoxy tomorrow attempt to get these glue back together.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know if u can't fix the motor. Send me the last eight of ur vin number. I wanna see if it still available from mopar. Maybe I can help:) if u dont want to post ur vin on here you can text it to me.

Edited by tbo1450
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...