• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Questions

Hi all,

While changing my oil today I checked up on my turbo health. It has had a slight internal oil leak since I got it as you can see. So I decided to check for play in the shaft and it has a little bit. Nothing major, no metal shavings in there, but it has some play. How long can I keep running this thing? Truck is mainly just a DD right now. Also can it be rebuilt or does it have to be replaced? Can anyone recommend a rebuild kit or good a replacement turbo? I don't plan to make crazy power so I don't necessarily want to upgrade unless someone has a really compelling reason. It is for the truck in my sig.

IMG_0451_zps1jowmndw.jpg

I am also curious about this.

IMG_0432_zpsvs9mtxib.jpg

IMG_0434_zps8uphultk.jpg

IMG_0435_zpsd8xei7sm.jpg

IMG_0443_zpshaoujugd.jpg

IMG_0446_zps2onqkfsv.jpg

IMG_0447_zpsm6mllngf.jpg

Clearly that is some very fine metal wear and it was caught on my magnetic drain plug from Geno's. Is it anything to be concerned about?

Up & Down shaft play is expected and perfectly normal.  Put a slight about of pressure on the shaft in every direction while spinning the wheel.  If there is no rubbing, you're fine.  There has to be some play due to the bearing design.

It's in and out play that is the big no no.  Maximum of .0064" (.16mm)

screenshot_104.jpg

Your oil leak could be contributed to large amounts of idle time?

Ok thanks, I'll check the in and out play next time I have it apart, didn't think of that today. I did push on the shaft like you said and it didn't seem to rub. I don't idle that much. I do let it warm up for 10 mins sometimes before driving but not a lot I don't think. What do you think of the metal wear on the magnet of the drain plug?Normal or something to panic about? 

Just now, leathermaneod said:

How early?

Few hundred miles. Swap oil filters also. Do that a few times. Also flush the pan out. With the plug out dump about 1/2 a gallon of oil through the crankcase and let it drain.

I'd bet that's iron from the block. What air filter are you using? 

I am using a Donaldson bhaf, but the po had a k&n :-( but do you think there is metal floating around in there that needs to be flushed out? Or is that just wear metal that got pulled to the magnet on the drain plug and so removed from the oil? I mean it's not like I saw pieces of metal in the oil....if I didn't have that aftermarket drain plug from Geno's I would never have found this....that stuff was very fine....

Edited by leathermaneod

58 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I am using a Donaldson bhaf, but the po had a k&n :-( but do you think there is metal floating around in there that needs to be flushed out? Or is that just wear metal that got pulled to the magnet on the drain plug and so removed from the oil? I mean it's not like I saw pieces of metal in the oil....if I didn't have that aftermarket drain plug from Geno's I would never have found this....that stuff was very fine....

The K&N probably let dirt in. I'd flush it.

So if the metal is from the turbo, is it from the turbo housing or the compressor wheel? Also, is it possible that the amount of metal I'm seeing is normal wear? Just that most don't see it because the stock drain plug doesnt have a magnet?

Is it possible to rebuild a holset turbo or should I buy a new one? The po did have a K&N, but I have cleaned the turbo up a little bit where I can reach and the oil always comes back so I'm thinking it probably does leak...

• Owner

If it was me I would pull the turbo and rebuild it yourself. The bearing kits are about $100 or so. Look for Holset Bearings no cheap china stuff here.
While the turbo is off, look and see how far that oil went into the system if it reached the intercooler you going to have to pull the radiator and the intercooler to wash the intercooler out with solvent. As for the metal, it could be piston wear to from the ingested dust from the crappy K&N filter. This you can do a compression test to verify the health of each cylinder.

What do you think about the possibility of it being normal wear? 

Is a turbo rebuild something I can tackle pretty easily with the kit? Any special tools I need or big problems I may encounter? Any special tips or instructions for me? I saw some kits on eBay, anything else specific to look for in a rebuild kit? other that what you already mentioned? what all should be included in the kit?

I don't really have the money for a compression test right now, so ill just have to start with the turbo rebuild and oil analysis.