• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Muffler options.

Anyone running a resonator and muffler on there truck? Can you post a sound video both outside and inside the cab?

I've been told Donaldson 40 inch M085421 or a M085171 then a 51 inch Donaldson M090544 or a M101182, then a 51 inch Nelson and even a Walker 21471. Anyone running one of these? 

I've even heard of the MBRP Quiet tone. 

Edited by Vais01

With my 30" FTE resonator I believe any added muffler past it would get one down to near stock exhaust sound levels. I have the factory 4" piping on my 05, I installed a muff delete pipe and then replaced the OEM converter with a 30' FTE resonator and kept the entire factory piping in tact. I had to do some custom cutting to keep the factory exhaust piping long enough when removing the factory cat but it worked out nearly perfect all done.

Edited by Wild and Free

I'm running a 30 inch FTE and a MagnaFlow stainless muffler but I've got a feeling the MagnaFlow I'd chocked full of soot. Still not very loud in the cab but outside it's a bit noisier than I would like. I'm trying to find out more on a Donaldson M090544 it should flow 2000 CFM of exhaust at a max of 3 Hg. The 40 inch M085171 cam flow over 3000 CFM but may not be quiet enough.

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm running a 30" NAPA muffler and love it.

I've also done a 4" Diamond Eye exhaust on a 1995 Dodge that sounds about the same. Also running a 30" muffler from Diamond Eye.

Interesting. Your truck sounds louder in the cab compared to mine just via the video. Maybe I will just add some additional sound deadening since the old stuff from the factory is practically flattened.

Edited by Vais01

One thing to remember as well is that the guys running extended cab long box rigs have an advantage to quiet things down more as they can install longer mufflers and can mount them a bit further back which is always a big difference in exhaust sound. This is something I do not think I have ever seen anyone address before. The further away from the source one can mount a muffler the best sound reduction one will have, even 12-18" makes a big difference.

Remember resonator gets mounted as close to engine as possible and muffler gets mounted as far away to get best results.:thumb1:

• Like 1

Not impressed with diamond eye mufflers. My dad and brother both had to add a second muffler to reduce the drone in the cab. One is a 12v, one is a CR.

I was going to buy an FTE, but the second turbo killed every bit of drone I had and reduced outside noise considerably. I can't hear my exhaust while driving with the windows down..... whether that's because the primary screams so loud I can't hear it or it's that quiet I'm not sure.

• Staff

I run the M085171 and the OEM resonator off of a 5.9 mega can. I ran just the Donaldson for about 4 months and really liked the sound and the drone was minimal and probably could have been eliminated with better hangers; however, I added the MC resonator for the exhaust brake. 

With just the Donalson the exhaust brake was painfully loud and high pitched, to the point where you could not have the windows down and use the exhaust brake. 

The MC resonator is starting to rust out and I would like to replace the entire exhaust. I have been looking at the Donalson silent partner mufflers since they are designed to help with exhaust brake noise. 

I am running into a flow issue thou, but it may not be a real issue. 

Looking at the QSB 480 specs it peaks the exhaust flow at 2174 CFM at 1301° and 3400 rpms. I figure I am going to be really close to that peak flow potential but I don't run those kind of rpms.  

Even still ill it looks like I may need to use a 5" muffler to get the silent partner. The M101181 should work. It is rated for less flow than my current muffler but still flows over 2600 CFM at 3" hg.

Edited by AH64ID

I must be lucky my qcsb has an unknown 4 inch turbo back no muffler with 6 inch tip. Absolutely no drone its quieter in the cab than my last rig which was a 04.5 with 5 inch magnaflow with a muffler and resonator. I had a 12v that was hacked off before the muffler and 4 inch straight pipe installed. That was crackly loud and the drone was bad in the cab.

Edited by moparguy55

• 4 years later...

I've been reading a lot lately on this topic, need to figure out what PO put in my truck and go frome there. All I know is it got a 4" downpipe that turns to 5" after the bend at floor level and goes back to a muffler/resonator starting just under back part of the cab, then it bends around axle and comes out behind rear passenger tire. I'm hoping I have room for a resonator or a mufler someplace or maybe I can put in a different mufler in place of the one I have. 

Any easy way to tell what brand of exhaust I have?

I don't think there will be much of hp loss on a 5" exhaust with my mods adding things.

52 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I don't know if there is enough room there, need to investigate some more :shifty:

I know the short one would fit but don't know about the long one. Seems I measured it once and it would but I am working off of an old memory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I've been reading a lot lately on this topic, need to figure out what PO put in my truck and go frome there. All I know is it got a 4" downpipe that turns to 5" after the bend at floor level and goes back to a muffler/resonator starting just under back part of the cab, then it bends around axle and comes out behind rear passenger tire. I'm hoping I have room for a resonator or a mufler someplace or maybe I can put in a different mufler in place of the one I have. 

Any easy way to tell what brand of exhaust I have?

I don't think there will be much of hp loss on a 5" exhaust with my mods adding things.

Sounds just like my Diamond Eye 5". If you'd like I can take a pic. sometime to compare.