• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

a little problem

Having cold start issues not that it's taking longer to start but it pops off to the normal  800 rpms but then a split second later it drops to 500 or so and sounds like it might die. Then come back up and never does it again just when it sits over night. if I plug it in it doesn't have this it starts just fine 

When I get to 190 and shut the truck off and restart the truck it's fine. The only this different I have different if instead  of the puff of black Smoke it is more of a gray. The only code I have is po602 and the could be from the superchip I have.

I haven't looked into it to much because I really have no idea where to start. Would like to figure it out before it starts getting below 0 right now it's around the teens at night and the around freezing during the day. Any help as always would be appreciated 

It sounds to me like your batteries might be getting weak or the battery cable ends need to be cleaned up.

The grid heaters put a big draw on the batteries before you start it, then the starter draws them down some more. Then right after it starts the grid heaters kick on again further dragging down the batteries.  So basically the battery voltage is getting low and your ecm isn't happy about it until the alternator can catch back up. 

2 hours ago, catnhat said:

Yes The gauge drops and when it's running the lights dim so I no they are working.

Sounds like a combination of weak batteries and possibly a weak alternator. I have a higher output alternator and even with the load it's not that much of a reduction in RPM.

• Owner

Battery cables. I will bet the cable are tired. Here is what I've got parked in the shop. I wonder how people get away with this? :shrug:

Look at that positive terminal. It a clamp on junk terminal. The core of the main cable is corroded. More accessory junk tied to the terminal. Secondary cable is just as rotten. Please people take the time to take care of your cables.

DSCF6750.JPG.3999b387b63878536dd0161dab8

O no mine look nothing like that I clean mine at least once a year. I tested my batteries  with something that looks like a cheese grater and it said both of them where good. Not sure of accurate it istl thats just what they use at work

• Staff

Wow, I thought my dash was full of dirt on my work truck....

I'm going to have you do that on my 02

For Christmas, I get time off and the 3 daughters come over for a huge meal. it is so great.... slept almost the whole day yesterday after much work and travel time ea. day.

17 hours ago, Dynamic said:

Mike, is there a particular manufacturer of Cummins battery cables that you recommend? I was going to make a set for mine, but if they can be purchased reasonably, I'll do that.

http://custombatterycables.com/

I've heard good things about these guys. 

If the cables are in good shape but the ends are junk you could go this route. 

image.jpeg.b9cdbcc5bc6f2503e082f4f99fde1

Also I wasn't impressed with liquid tape in the pic so I peeled it off and used heat shrink. 

• Like 3

I am using the same military style clamps as you and they do work very well. I have also started using motor oil on them and have had almost 0 corrosion on any of them.

The thing i like about the clamps is you cont have to mess with them to disconnect the batteries. I have a tendency to over tighten them and with these it is not an issue.