• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball joints

Well half way through my trip up north I have found that my Balls joints are loose again.  

The moogs lasted 20K

The Danas lasted about 15k

Not really sure what to do.  I would love to just get something that lasted from the factory, but I dunno.  

Thoughts on what to try?  Should I do the dana ones again?

22 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Well half way through my trip up north I have found that my Balls joints are loose again.  

The moogs lasted 20K

The Danas lasted about 15k

Not really sure what to do.  I would love to just get something that lasted from the factory, but I dunno.  

Thoughts on what to try?  Should I do the dana ones again?

What part # Dana's did you use? 

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Do those work in a 2000? they actually show another for the 00-02http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2077_dana_spicer_708047_ball_joint_set_for_2000_to_2002_dodge_ram.html

I see a 2000 in your sig. Were the for another truck?

• Owner

Just doing a general hunt for those part number on the internet turns out scary results. There hardly anyone selling Dana Spicer parts. Even common place like RockAuto or NAPA doesn't even list them.

Now Amazon got a few...

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YSPBJ-016-Joint-Dodge-Differential/dp/B00EHN7KXQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451099098&sr=8-2&keywords=DANA+SPICER+708047

This replaces Spicer part number 708047

Obsolete part number? Maybe that's why there is so few of them on the web...

So how much play is too much, when having front axle on jack stands and putting pry bar under tire moving up and down? Mine move between 1/32 and 16th on both sides. And do you do unjoints and seals at same time or just replace wats bad. What's the life expectancy on axle seals and u joints? 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

So how much play is too much, when having front axle on jack stands and putting pry bar under tire moving up and down? Mine move between 1/32 and 16th on both sides. And do you do unjoints and seals at same time or just replace wats bad. What's the life expectancy on axle seals and u joints? 

Up and down movement is NORMAL regardless of what the alignment shop tells you. it's the side to side play that is the issue.

i've been looking at several options for new ball joints. XRF was recommended. and rebestose something or others was also recommended.

• Staff

So is it the heat treatment or the alloy mixture that makes them better ball joints? I imagine some are just mild steel.

Is there Any thoughts about bringing the new ones to a forge and have them treated/ change the metalurgey? I don't know.... someone might understand this process to make them good BJ's.