• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball joints

Checked some more part numbers and AC Delco Professional is in fact rebranded Raybestos Professional parts. I checked the 98-99 HD steering parts between the two and like the ball joints they're exactly the same. Just thought this might be useful information to share.

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Anyone have a 98---00 truck with the t steering?

I need to do a nitty gritty alighnment and could use the measurement from a good truck.  Can anyone measure the distance between the hubs from the knuckle joint shalf to knuckle joint shaft on the tie rods?

I'll have my truck in the garage tmw if you can wait. I'd go check now but it's cold and snowy. 

Thanks for the measurement.  

I tried to take my truck into a front end shop for them to give me a dirty alignment, but they poked until they found something off and refused to align it.   Yes I know the ball joint has 2* of movement, but that is not what is causing my tire wear......they tried to tell me that caster adjustment wasn't possible, then I pointed them to my adjustable control arms and they just said "well that won't wear tires"  Then I pointed out the wear was on the outside of the tire, and that ball joint caused tire wear results in the inner of the tire being worn.  

anyways enough of a rant, I just hate hate hate dealing with alignment shops, I don't think any alignment shop has ever actually done and alignment.  

This is how my dad taught me to do it. 

• Jack the vehicle up making certain that it's level. 
  • Find the middle of the tire and make a mark.
  • Using a piece of chalk or greese stick hold it to the mark you just made while slowly spinning the tire until you have a line around the entire circumference.
  • Roughly find the center of the tire and make a small horizontal mark across the middle mark on both the front and back of the tire.
  • Repeat the process on the other tire with one exception, your going to copy the center measurements of the first tire and use it on the second.
  • You want both tires to have equal center marks, it doesn't matter if they aren't exactly the center of the tires just so long as they are both the same. Say for example you measured 15" as the center of one of the tires. Your going to use that 15" measurement on BOTH tires so that they are both marked in the same place. 
  • Measure the distance between the tires on the front side using the middle mark. Make sure the tape is level by using the horizontal center marks. Repeat on the back side. 
  • Compare both measurements.
  • Example 1: Say the front measurement was 70" and the back measurement was 69.50". This indicates that the tires are toed outward. To correct your going to shorten the tie rod adjustment 1/4" and measure again. You should now have 69.75" on both the front and back of the tires.
  • Example 2: If the front measurement was 69.50" and the rear measurement was 70" this would indicate the tires are toed in. To correct your going to lengthen the tie rod adjustment 1/4" and measure again. You should now have 69.75" on both the front and back of the tires.
  • Remember that whatever the difference is between measurements your going to half it, then either lengthen or shorten the tie tod that amount.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joecool911 said:

You should do a video and put in articles section.

I've never made a how-to video before, sounds like it could be fun.

59 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

Hammer, while this is a fine way of doing it i do believe my way is easier and faster. and still achieve the same results.

It's sounds like a lot of work but it actually only takes about 10 minutes to get your measurements. I thought you posted a video showing how you do an alignment but I can't remember where I saw it. Would you mind posting a link? 

Edited by The_Hammer
Fat fingers + autocorrect = SNAFU

Alright,

Well the passenger front was about 1' closer to the rear wheel than the drivers....just like I told the alignment shop.   It was toe'd out about 5/8".   I took it in to about 1/8" +- to neutral.  

Thing i s driving a lot better now.  I can only assume it won't eat through the tires as bad now.  Still curious why the outside of the the tire was wearing vs in the inside, but oh well.

Thanks buzzer for your measurement, help at least me figure out a good place to start.