• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball joints

• 1 month later...

I found a place out of Montana that sells spicer joints. I am in the same boat about replacing my joint I was going to replace them with moog but have not heard good reports about them. I have had two different different tire shops tell me that my ball joints where bad but I can't seem to get any play out of them. Is there a way to tell if they are really as bad as the shop is telling me they are. My passenger tire is wearing to the outside I always thought that it was the track bar that was bad maybe I am miss lead and its a bad ball joint.

http://www.quad4x4.com/DodgeDana60front2000-2002.html

On 4/18/2016 at 3:55 PM, Me78569 said:

You can get Spicer cheaper at 

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2077_dana_spicer_708047_ball_joint_set_for_2000_to_2002_dodge_ram.html

I got my last set of Spicer there.... I now have AC Delcos sitting on my desk waiting to go into the truck whenever I get some free time.

How long did the Spicers last you? 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This last truck I was working on had both grease-able upper and lower ball joint. Rather strange to see zerk on a lower ball joint. I've got no idea who makes them.

The moogs I have on here now are all grease-able. Te lower zerk is angled out of the top edge on a 45* angle and easy to grease. I have 100k on these and the driver side has a little up and down play in it now. A little leery of them now after what I have been reading about Moog.

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

10/15k.....

One of the 4 is bad , sowho knows what happened.

Wish I could find the oe spicer. Mine lasted a very long time and they were not grease able. completely sealed. Tie rods ends too.

The link I posted are sealed, non grease-able OEM spicer numbers.  Only thing I can't link is the OEM dodge number to the Spicer number, but those are what dana/spicer installs into the Dana 60.

I am going to cut apart the spicers in my truck now and see what they look like.  I am guessing that only the one upper is bad.  I cannot stress how hard I hit the pothole and how big it was.  I was honestly surprised it didn't break something major. 

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The link I posted are sealed, non grease-able OEM spicer numbers.  Only thing I can't link is the OEM dodge number to the Spicer number, but those are what dana/spicer installs into the Dana 60.

I am going to cut apart the spicers in my truck now and see what they look like.  I am guessing that only the one upper is bad.  I cannot stress how hard I hit the pothole and how big it was.  I was honestly surprised it didn't break something major. 

I gues what is throwing me off is the zerks in the picture. Sure makes them look grease able. And I do get the crater you drove as contributing to the early failure of the one. Hit few my self.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If I'm not mistaken... The upper ball joint isn't a true "ball joint" its a shaft joint.

I agree with you and ME on this one.

interesting.

The 98 joints I got for my truck ( my truck has a 94 front axle)

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2078_dana_spicer_707469x_ball_joint_set_for_1994_to_1998_12_dodge.html

Don't have zerts.......   

Maybe the picture for the 00-02 joints is off?  Might be worth calling and asking.

Edited by Me78569

I would like to compare it this one that Explosive97 posted. Says OE lower sealed and upper grease able. I might still have my old ones in the scrap pile to look at. If they are the same I would buy them. Who is to know if they are the same. http://www.quad4x4.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=acton&key=4510 

20 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

interesting.

The 98 joints I got for my truck ( my truck has a 94 front axle)

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2078_dana_spicer_707469x_ball_joint_set_for_1994_to_1998_12_dodge.html

Don't have zerts.......   

Maybe the picture for the 00-02 joints is off?  Might be worth calling and asking.

• 2 weeks later...

ME78569 did you ever cut your old spicer apart to see what failed on it. There is to many choices and I don't know which one to choice. I really wish that EMF would have build there rebuild able joints for are 2nd gens. Has anyone tried XRF joints yet?

I am not sure the spicers are failed,  the hubs are off and I am chasing issues, mostly lacking of time, and I cannot see anything that would suggest bad ball joints.  They are tight.