• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

scary towing malfunctions.

• Owner
Just now, Wild and Free said:

Lots of fires can be started that gauges will not prevent, actually most of the vehicle fires I have seen first hand gauges would have had no effect.

Like fuel leaks, etc. Yes, that is true. But it amazes me how many people towing heavy trailers and don't even have gauges and assume it will never get too hot. Out here the common fire place for vehicle fires is Whitebird grade. Going up people burn them down from excessive heat (gas or diesel). More so common with modified diesels. Like the last one I was called to was a Ford with a 12V Cummins without gauges and towing a gooseneck with a Chevy on the back. Then on the way down the truckers typically ride their brakes till they catch fire another common fire call for us.

But the basics is you heat or ignition source for a fuel to burn. Be it actual fuel (gas or diesel) or maybe a different fuel like plastic or other burnable materials. Typical engine fires either liquid fuel got to something very hot or something very hot got to the fuel. Fuels (anything burnable) is typically harmless till there is a source of heat and/or ignition.

• Staff

The burn jobs I see are from leaking fuel lines under the hood, or a transmission cooling line spraying ATF on the head pipe, or an unfused hot wire shorted to ground.  Had one customer who had a short in the wire for the tail light. The circuit was rated for 8 amps. He burned his car down when he installed a 25amp fuse.