• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time for a Red Head steering box ... ?

Ed's5.9

I have been hearing a slight knock when I hit bumps and occasional clunk at full steering lock up, finally got under the truck to check it out and there is a little play in the steering gear shaft, I'm not talking about rotational play, it has linear play and pump is starting to leak fluid ... I have been checking prices and wanted to check here if anyone has any other recommendations asides replacing it and if replacing it is the best option do we have any vendors here or discounts that we can get as members ? I found that DPP (Diesel Power Products) carries them at $389.00 and have an option to differ core charge which means no core charge as long as core is shipped within 30 days and core is not cracked or physically broken. Thank you all for your time. 

• Owner

The seal kit will fix the leak. As for wear it all adjustable. So you can readjust everything to tighten up. I've rebuilt Sagnaw box in a 1969 Ford F350. Not a problem the owner said the same thing what about wear? Just when you rebuild it readjust everything to tighten up. Like the red collar that is the bearing pre-load. Then the over the center adjustment is out of view but with take the slop out of the output shaft and rack. when I was done it was nice and tight again no leaks...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/570869-saginaw-box-rebuild-how.html

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Rebuilding the gears is not a simple project, I work with the guy who owns and runs Bluetop and there are a lot of internal adjustments to consider that common rebuild kits do not have like the bearing balls which is how the play is adjusted, he has to source them from custom makers specifically for this alone, the balls have to be made in single mm size differences and the same gear could take 2-3 different diameter bearing balls.

He is phasing out his automotive gear work but will take on jobs if one contacts him, he is narrowing down his work load to heavy duty steer gears like Semis. He sold off most of his automotive parts stock already but if one contacts him he will tell you if he will or won't do it depending on what you have. He says rebuilders like cardone do nobody any favors when they rebuild things they cobble stuff big time making his life tougher when he has to fix their cobble jobs. He has to do a lot of machining work on a lot of them in spots as well sometimes the seal area and sometimes the bearing area, none are a cut and dry rebuild if one wants it done right.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

I looked into blutop when buzzinhalfdozen recommended him and read what his rebuilds intail I also found a youtube video that displays the internals and functions inside steering gears, this is what made me think it was a repair that's out of my knowledge span due to lack experience and tools. But I had to start a Job on Tuesday and I needed to find a remedy or repair it quick, so I got under the truck to study the situation again and realized that the knock I was hearing seemed louder than what the gearbox was producing when I would move with my hand. I then started to inspect other steering and suspention parts and all parts seemed fine next I got a rubber mallet and started giving steering components light taps so see if I got any noises and found the actual issue ... A loose tierod bolt ! Looks like after I did the steering linkage a few months back things may have settled into place creating a little play. Bolt was only about 1full turn loose once I tightened it up the noise is gone and there is no slop in steering at all. But I do still have a leak to fix which I now have to see if its from the power steering pump or steering gear since steering feels tight again. 

Edited by Ed's5.9
typo
  • Like 2