• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wiring harness tape

I was doing some electrical work under the hood today when I realized just how ratty my wiring looks. Loose wires floating around, electrical tape peeling off, plastic loom cracking and breaking, just a mess of problems waiting to happen. I didn't want to wrap it all up in regular electrical tape, which will end up peeling off and making a mess, so I started looking for actual wiring harness tape. During my search I came across this company http://www.tesatape.com/industry/automotive/electrical_systems/wire_harnessing-abrasion_protection.

I was a tech at a John Deere construction equipment dealer for awhile and I'm almost positive this is the same tape that was used on all of Deere's wiring harnesses. It's though stuff that handled high heat and abrasion VERY well. I've found it on Ebay for $15 per 3/4" x 27.34 yard roll, free shipping. I'm going to order a roll and see how it works. If it is in fact the same stuff Deere uses, it's leaps and bounds ahead of using regular electrical tape.

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Royal Squire said:

Let us know how that works out. 

Will do.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Years ago on my 1973 Dodge Charger I was taking the time to rebuild the rear bumper and tail lights. I found a local hardware store tha had the friction tape that was absolutely the same stuff as what Dodge used back in 1973 on the tail lights.

It's funny how that works out sometimes. It was probably a fraction of the cost compared to the dealer.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

When you go to wrap that loom back up take your time and you can make some really beautiful looms without the buckled up tape, skipped spots, etc. There is a art to doing wiring looms and making them look good.

That's the plan. I want to make it look clean and organized, and the rats nest it has become lol.

• Owner

From what I learned about looming. You want to start from your open ends and work inward on yourself. You start by doing all your small branches into the main loom bring a few wraps in the main loom. Then you start from one of the main loom and travel a bit over 50% of the way. Then reverse start a the other other and overlap in the center. This way all your plug ends will not unravel in a few months and you won't need zip ties then either.

Some of the tidbits I learn doing cable assembly in California years ago... Also I've peeled a few looms in my day...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2