• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Straightening out wiring harness.

That's the complete harness from the PCM, to the engine, and transmission. I'm getting rid of random plugs that aren't used for this truck, replacing all the brittle tape and loom, as well as cleaning up old splices.

7 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

There's got to be some story behind it?  It wasn't just laying under your truck when you went out to start it was it?

That just literally made me lol!

All the loom and tape were falling to pieces, which ended up with random wires floating around just waiting to short out. I also wanted to get rid of all the unused connectors and their wiring. All of the plastic wiring holders are broken as well, which I'm going to replace. Basically just preventive maintenance.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What was so bad about it? :think:

Taking off all the old, cracked up and baked on electrical tape was tedious. Wrapping up a section of harness just to realize you left out one wire sucks too smiley_abused.gif.0062604076b8f66e4cce30. It's not horrible by any means, but I can't say I'm having a blast doing it.

1 hour ago, Royal Squire said:

Hammer-Did you get some of that hi-tech electrical tape for this job?

No. Apparently USPS has found me unworthy of receiving it, judging from the fact that it's been sitting in GA for 4 business days.

USPS.jpg.99188215dc07232638bfdc9bd1a1cda

Sounds like they're having one big SNAFU then.

Harness is back in the truck. I've been shortening up wires that were always a mile too long, like the grid heater wires, grid heater relay wires, and oil pressure sender wires. Also rerouted the tps wires back through the harness up by the ABS unit. I deleted the tps in favor of a potentiometer so I didn't need the wires down by the pump anymore. Also deleted the fuel heater relay harness, along with a random relay harness that isn't used on this truck.

All of the harness loops that were mounted at various points throughout the engine bay were broke, so I used zip ties to secures everything. 

I must have done something right, the truck actually starts and all my gauges work smiley_abused.gif.c30215b2851d377fe6af37. I also noticed that the "wait to start" light works for the first time since owning the truck. 

I do have some questions about the fusible links, which the truck currently has none of.

Is there supposed to be one in-line of the power wire going to the shutdown solenoid relay?

What about for the starter relay?

Should fusible links be two gauges smaller than the wire it's protecting?

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The only fusible links I know on a 12V is the grid heaters and the one for the fuel solenoid that is it.  Beyond that there should be fuses in the PDC or cab for protection of circuits.

Ok, thanks. I forgot about ones in the grid heater wires, which are still intact.

Well, my Tesa wiring harness tape came today. Good news is that this works really well, bad news is that I'm going to end up redoing most of the harness with it lol.

rps20160114_161715.jpg.d9192750d5622be66

rps20160114_161746.jpg.47d52608b378056ec

rps20160114_161652.jpg.d3b5e485879c55682

A few things need to be said about this stuff.

It is NOT an electrical tape, it's a replacement for plastic loom. It's meant to be wrapped directly around the wires and not over loom, except for areas of severe abrasion.

It doesn't have a lot of adhesion to it, since it is meant to be easily removed if need be. Because of this, you'll want to make a few wraps in one spot when starting and lock the end when your finished. You can lock the end of the wrap with a small zip tie or two.

A couple of rolls ($32) would be enough to wrap the entire under hood and transmission harness. 

So far I really like the stuff and will be using it in place of plastic loom.

• Like 1