• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

I have a 1998.5 3500 5.9 Vin 6 24v CTD, have put in a remain VP44 from O'Reillys, a new lift pump that puts about about 16 psi WOT, DAP 100HP injectors, and have done a block test and still cannot manage to figure out why i have white smoke at WOT. It blows a puff of white on a cold morning but after reaching OT my programmer kicks on and it'll be black for a while then it seems as if randomly it'll turn white, then if i turn my programmer off it still smokes white. I have no idea from here. Any ideas? 

Welcome!

White fuel smelling smoke on start isn't that unusual and isn't typically isn't a problem.

White at wot is hard to say.  Possibly oil or coolant... how hot is your turbo getting?  Any leaks in the seal or noticeable oil smell to the smoke?

It doesn't seem as if the turbo is leaking oil, I forgot to mention that my coolant had some oil in it. But no headgasket leak as far as the block test shows. I'm sending my injectors back to DAP tomorrow for testing and possible replacement. It's not likely the VP is it? No hard starts, codes, or missing? 

IIRC, there is a heat exchanger in the block on the right side under the turbo. 

The oil pressure is higher than the coolant, so it leaks one way.  

How often has the coolant been changed?  

Is the cooling system pretty dirty and corroded or clean?

The heat exchanger you speak of isn't a part of the block, it's mounted to the block. If it leaks you'll get ATF in your coolant, but it has nothing to do with the truck blowing white smoke. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JesseJames said:

I have an NV4500, but cooling system is prolly pretty dirty if it still matters

You won't have a heat exchanger at all then. Dirty coolant isn't the problem, though a full coolant flush wouldn't be a bad idea once the smoke issue is fixed. It sounds like an injector issue to me. I'll be curious to see what DAP reports back on the injectors. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

Yeah, i thought it was the vp and scared me at first

Possible for air in fuel to cause heavy white smoke? Seems like I recall seeing a little southern engineering on my fuel lines when I replaced lift pump.

There is some sort of "heat exchanger", not the right term, at the oil filter that can leak oil into the coolant. Not the source of your white smoke though. i just cant remember what you call it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dripley said:

There is some sort of "heat exchanger", not the right term, at the oil filter that can leak oil into the coolant. Not the source of your white smoke though. i just cant remember what you call it. 

Your talking about the oil cooler. It is a type of heat exchanger, but is normally referred to as an oil cooler. 

lc910gd_lg.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CSM said:

Oil cooler, yes thanks.

I hate when I can see the part in my head, but can't remember what the thing is called. 

• Like 1

My concern with the coolant is that if there is oil leaking into coolant  and white smoke... is that there is some damage to the head gasket and oil cooler.  An intermittent head gasket leak is rare, but it does smoke when it is really romped on.  

I agree with the injector comment, especially for startup smoke, but old dirty coolant on this old of a truck makes me think corrosion. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The_Hammer said:

Your talking about the oil cooler. It is a type of heat exchanger, but is normally referred to as an oil cooler. 

lc910gd_lg.png

After racking my brain trying to remember what it was called, oil cooler just doesn't sound sophisticated enough. Should have been something harder to remember.:think:

1 hour ago, dripley said:

After racking my brain trying to remember what it was called, oil cooler just doesn't sound sophisticated enough. Should have been something harder to remember.:think:

Here ya go

smiley_smartass.gif.e342bb71871795d03b7e

• Like 1

I think I'm going to start with the injectors, and fuel lines from the tank to the pump for possibly air leaking in and go from there

Edited by JesseJames

7 hours ago, JesseJames said:

I think I'm going to start with the injectors, and fuel lines from the tank to the pump for possibly air leaking in and go from there

Do one thing at a time to isolate the cause. See what DAP tells you before doing anything else, if the injectors are the cause there's no need to continue chasing ghosts.

Well I've been meaning to run s ok me new fuel lines for a long time because the ones that are on there aren't in good shape. Ill definitely see what they day before i decide on what to do though. 

Air in the fuel will not cause this issue. A diesel engine can run as lean as you can get it where a gasoline engine cannot.

Your looking at a fuel or water issue causing white smoke. I remember water being the white smoke issue, however, that is with gasoline engines. I think diesel can belch a bit of white smoke but usually a rich mixture will be black.

On 1/16/2016 at 2:22 AM, JesseJames said:

Well I've been meaning to run s ok me new fuel lines for a long time because the ones that are on there aren't in good shape. Ill definitely see what they day before i decide on what to do though. 

Change the fuel lines 15 minutes after putting it back together, can't hurt.

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned.

Edited by eddielee

Diesel Auto Power responded today saying there was a bunch of debris in my injectors and they are testing today and are going to get me some answers tomorrow but have adjusted valve lash while waiting. Also I'm looking for a FASS if anyone knows where I can pick a good one up for cheap. I'm feeling pretty confident that it's an injector related problem at this point but I guess I won't know till I get it back together. 

• Like 1