• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a 1998.5 3500 5.9 Vin 6 24v CTD, have put in a remain VP44 from O'Reillys, a new lift pump that puts about about 16 psi WOT, DAP 100HP injectors, and have done a block test and still cannot manage to figure out why i have white smoke at WOT. It blows a puff of white on a cold morning but after reaching OT my programmer kicks on and it'll be black for a while then it seems as if randomly it'll turn white, then if i turn my programmer off it still smokes white. I have no idea from here. Any ideas? 

Welcome!

White fuel smelling smoke on start isn't that unusual and isn't typically isn't a problem.

White at wot is hard to say.  Possibly oil or coolant... how hot is your turbo getting?  Any leaks in the seal or noticeable oil smell to the smoke?

It doesn't seem as if the turbo is leaking oil, I forgot to mention that my coolant had some oil in it. But no headgasket leak as far as the block test shows. I'm sending my injectors back to DAP tomorrow for testing and possible replacement. It's not likely the VP is it? No hard starts, codes, or missing? 

IIRC, there is a heat exchanger in the block on the right side under the turbo. 

The oil pressure is higher than the coolant, so it leaks one way.  

How often has the coolant been changed?  

Is the cooling system pretty dirty and corroded or clean?

7 minutes ago, JesseJames said:

I have an NV4500, but cooling system is prolly pretty dirty if it still matters

You won't have a heat exchanger at all then. Dirty coolant isn't the problem, though a full coolant flush wouldn't be a bad idea once the smoke issue is fixed. It sounds like an injector issue to me. I'll be curious to see what DAP reports back on the injectors. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dripley said:

There is some sort of "heat exchanger", not the right term, at the oil filter that can leak oil into the coolant. Not the source of your white smoke though. i just cant remember what you call it. 

Your talking about the oil cooler. It is a type of heat exchanger, but is normally referred to as an oil cooler. 

lc910gd_lg.png

• Like 2

My concern with the coolant is that if there is oil leaking into coolant  and white smoke... is that there is some damage to the head gasket and oil cooler.  An intermittent head gasket leak is rare, but it does smoke when it is really romped on.  

I agree with the injector comment, especially for startup smoke, but old dirty coolant on this old of a truck makes me think corrosion. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The_Hammer said:

Your talking about the oil cooler. It is a type of heat exchanger, but is normally referred to as an oil cooler. 

lc910gd_lg.png

After racking my brain trying to remember what it was called, oil cooler just doesn't sound sophisticated enough. Should have been something harder to remember.:think:

7 hours ago, JesseJames said:

I think I'm going to start with the injectors, and fuel lines from the tank to the pump for possibly air leaking in and go from there

Do one thing at a time to isolate the cause. See what DAP tells you before doing anything else, if the injectors are the cause there's no need to continue chasing ghosts.