• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On the Hunt for a Slide in Popup camper

I have put my foot down and finally got approval to buy a camper.  I am tired of packing for camping.  I am tired of loading random bins into the truck to go camping, but mostly I am sick of tents, I am sick of sticky small tents haha. 

I have been looking into used Truck bed campers of the Popup variety.   We do a lot of off the beaten road camping so a large camper isn't going to happen.  We also have goals of getting a horse trailer at some point and going places to ride for a weekend. 

So that leaves me with the popup slide in style.  Am I off base here?   We have ~$2000-$3000 budget for this.  I have been looking on Craigslist for a few weeks now and spotted a few that would work, anywhere from $700-$5000.   Most have good roofs and canvas, but beyond that I am not sure what I am looking for.  Anything I should be looking for?  Any brands that I should be avoiding?

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Here is my butthole........ I mean horse

Nice.  

I did the horse thing all through growing up.  Rodeo'ed and all.  After going to school/career I didn't have the time to devote to the horses.  We had some great horses though, team penning was my favorite and really the only thing I was good at. 

We did have some real jerk horses as well though, and I still feel that John Wayne said it best, "horses are a bunch of trouble tied up in a big leather bag!"  I pray that none of our kids ever want to do horses, though I did learn a lot from it. 

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

• Staff

I'm glad this thread went from pop up campers to horses.... as now I'm not the only guy around that does that.

I know truck campers and horses go well together since it allows you to tow the horse trailer and have your rv.

What is amazing to me is horses can get so very large yet are so gentle. Some you cannot go near and will take a chunk out of you.

Edited by JAG1

Another option is to sell the horses.  Then you'll have so much more time and money for camping.

If you ever miss them just go outside in the middle of a hot summer day.  Grab a roll of barbed wire, drop it on your toe and maybe drag your forearms over it until you're a bloody mess. Just for good measure light a $100 bill on fire. Then you'll be reminded of what it was like to own a 1,000lb toddler. At least this is most of my horse ownership experience. 

• Like 2

Burning $100 bill, your funny....mot rlike burning stacks of $100's

I looked at last year's cost.  3,600 for board and feed(good price) 

2 trips for shots by the vet $330

1 trip out for the vet when the horse got bit by a rattler, plus xrays $300.

Saddle stuff  $400

Gas and time who knows, but hey the wife loves horses and riding so it is worth it.

Very little compares to being on top of a 16 hand horse at a lope.

Time for more pictures.

And maybe some camper talk haha

Edited by Me78569

Yep,  

It was pretty crazy.  TheRe Where 2 Holes Side By Side IN The Lower hole then the upper hole was where it all came out of.  

All the knee tissue turned black, died then turned to puss and leaked out.  It looked like that for more than a month.

This was within a day or it happening

Then this was within 2 days

We didn't see it just noticed the knee swelling later that day.  Vet said just watch it, so no anti venom for him.  He too kit like a boss.

He is %100, and I am dreading the day when he hears that rattle and I am riding haha.

• Like 1