• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weekend Help

Mopar1973Man

34 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

The overhead radiant heaters are extreme energy hogs, about the least efficient highest cost form of heat. Waste oil burners are fairly high maintenance from what I have seen and heard, very picky about having clean oil to operate correctly.

What do you use to heat your snow cave (shop) on Hoth?  

Edited by CSM

A shop I used to work for had a waste oil heater and that thing was constant maintenance. It had its own screen and filter system but it didn't seem to be adequate. Everything that goes in one should probably at least be run through a fine screen.  Shortly after I left apparently the moron shop owner dumped a bunch of gas in it to get it going. Long story but he was trying to do something on it with a torch and blew the heater and himself up. He survived just a little uglier now. 

14 minutes ago, CSM said:

What do you use to heat your snow cave (shop) on Hoth?  

Just has a goat and a donkey follow him around for a little radiant heat:woot:

• Like 1

• Staff

I think just go with a Big Ol' Honkin woodstove, if only there was something to make it easy to start the fires. Sometimes a fire never wants to get going so I like Mikes idea laying a grass burning torch aimed inside the stove. That was classic.

Your amount of insulation will help loads. You can also quadrant off an area with insulated walls/ceiling to heat in winter time. That affords a storage loft up above if you sheet the top. Some guys do that and put in stairs going up.

• Like 1

You guys in the NW with access to lots of timber have it nice... We really have to work for it in parts of Colorado.  The government doesn't want us to use up all the wood they save for the annual forest fires.  

My shop has an overhead propane furnace. I have it on a low temp thermostat that I can turn down to 35* when not working in it, but nice that it keeps things from freezing yet. I have a dark brown south facing shop door that absorbs some heat so when the temps are in the 20's it warms the inside of the shop just enough the furnace rarely kicks on, it is insulated but not very well or finished off yet. If I would finish it and add more insulation my heating cost would be really minor.

3 hours ago, CSM said:

You guys in the NW with access to lots of timber have it nice... We really have to work for it in parts of Colorado.  The government doesn't want us to use up all the wood they save for the annual forest fires.  

out here on the western slope we have an unlimited supply of beetle kill and at $10.. per cord you can cut untill your hearts content., I usually get about 5 or 6 cords within about a 20 mile radius from my place of spruce, ponderosa and aspen, The only bad thing is that the permits expire at the end of year. on 12/31, and don't go on sale again until April and all the FS roads close them selves anyway. and I'm usually out by the end of February, I just need a bigger wood shed. Ha!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

out here on the western slope we have an unlimited supply of beetle kill and at $10.. per cord you can cut untill your hearts content., I usually get about 5 or 6 cords within about a 20 mile radius from my place of spruce, ponderosa and aspen, The only bad thing is that the permits expire at the end of year. on 12/31, and don't go on sale again until April and all the FS roads close them selves anyway. and I'm usually out by the end of February, I just need a bigger wood shed. Ha!

The closed roads drive me nuts.  It isn't nearly as good as it was in the early 900 or 80s with old roads everywhere. 

7 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

:lmao2:Ha Ha yeah you live in a different world, I love how repair shops do it down south, pour a slab and line up the hoists outside next to a small building with room enough for an office and toolboxes and maybe some parts and oil storage and that's about it.

I don't even have a lift,  never have. It's either a creeper or a pit. 

• Staff

As a contractor I meet all kinds of folks. As some get older they want to go to a gas stove heater so last year I had two people give me their cut split firewood for free if I would haul it off. That is a good deal.

40 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Firewood hauling, cutting & splitting, then stacking is my daily work out in the summer. Get lots of exercise and lose some pounds every spring.

My new dump trailer will make that chore a lot easier now too. Going to be a busy summer cleaning scrap iron from my in-laws farm now that I have a better way to haul it out.

17 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

My new dump trailer will make that chore a lot easier now too. Going to be a busy summer cleaning scrap iron from my in-laws farm now that I have a better way to haul it out.

If you find any classic old car parts up there, talk to me before you send it to the crusher!  :whistle:

• Like 1

• Owner

Absolutely... Too much was crushed back when scrappers where hauling scrap metal. I watch several old 70's Dodge Trucks and Cars go into a crusher and turn into cubes in no time flat. All I could is cry... Now finding old 70's stuff is nearly insane. Like the fire dept is looking for a 1976 Dodge Pickup door but there is none left all been crushed.