• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Sign in to follow this  
Explosives87

HID vs Sportlights

I am real need of new headlights of some sort but am not really which route to go. I saw the thread about the retrofits of the projectors into the stock housing but and running HID with them. I like the throw of light side to side that the hid have by I can really get any info on what kind of distance I will see with them. Is there anyone that has gone the sport light conversion route then switch over to the HID and projectors. Just trying to get best bang for my buck.

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

A good projector/xenon setup will smoke sport housings when it comes to output.

Hard to say what the usable range is, but I can say it is a huge advantage over stock.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/topic/10705-and-he-said-let-there-be-light/

A mag lite is better than hazed stock 

13 hours ago, CSM said:

A mag lite is better than hazed stock 

Isn't that the truth

10 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I have been in 2nd gen with sport lights and HID's and I can say without a doubt the projector kit smokes that also.

What kind of range do you see out of the mod that you did?

That's a hard question to answer, throw is really nice.   Driving down the road the beam in front of you is very compatible to acura tsx and late 2000 bmw's on the road.  

This image is ~20-25 yards from the wall, and before I aimed and leveled the lights.

20151118_175245.jpg

i'd say the light output which you can see on the ground is close to 75 yards on the low beams, highs is further.  The width of the lights is ~4 lanes or the full bar ditch on both sides on a 2 lane road.

Edited by Me78569

I think that I will have to look into the cost of going the route of the projector with the head lamp assembly too. I found these website that have all ready assembly in them that have the projectors in them but I am not sure if them run the same ones that you did the write up on Me78569.

http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2G.RAM.RETRO

http://www.protuninglab.com/94-01-dodge-ram-projector-headlights.html

retroship is just the same thing I have.  They use mini h1's from morimoto.

the proltuning stuff is junk.  Cheap ebay projector things.  They will likely fail and pulse.

Cost to do it yourself is ~300-370ish depending on where you find stuff. 

Edited by Me78569