• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New member introduction/reccomended maintenance

Hi everybody, 

I'm a new member here, but have been lurking for some time learning as much as I can. My first truck was a lifted 01 f350 with the 7.3 psd. It had an exhaust leak and possibly bad injectors, and was lifted way high with 38's. Not my style truck, and was more than I felt comfortable tackling myself (I was 20). I found an immaculate 02 cummins with 115k miles, totally unmolested with a paint matched canopy and bed rug. I was in love from the first time I saw it on craigslist. Went and bought it the next day with a small loan. Fast forward about 2 years today, still have it and love it. It now has 140k on the clock and I have done oil changes and fuel filter changes every 7k and 15k respectively. I added a edge jwa programmer and keep it on 2x3. Saving up for a new trans, but the stock is holding up fine. Also saving for a lift pump, but I've never seen fuel pressures below 10. Normally 14 when cruising. I also have a BHAF on the truck. Everything else stock. Zero blow from what I can see, but the crankcase vent bottle makes a mess...

So my question is, what maintenance should I do in the near future? Just ticked over 140k miles, and want to keep up on religious maintenence and drive this truck to the moon and back a couple times. Coolant flush, different changes, and transfer case lube changes are all on the list. Also need to delete the crankcase vent bottle, its making a mess. The truck just started making a little creak from the front end while turning low speed. I'll get under there with a grease gun tomorrow and lube up everything I can. 

Any other suggestions for maintence?20150924_144437.jpg.8ff48ae57a25c58b2fad20160122_142012.jpg.5b758efc5270875dc48120160122_142035.jpg.1b0c7a38a1956e790311

• Owner
34 minutes ago, FFThomson said:

I'll get under there with a grease gun tomorrow and lube up everything I can.

4WD only has 3 zerks. Two upper ball joints and one track bar.

34 minutes ago, FFThomson said:

Also need to delete the crankcase vent bottle, its making a mess.

You can try my Crankcase Vent Mod. Fairly easy to build and works very well.

36 minutes ago, FFThomson said:

Just ticked over 140k miles, and want to keep up on religious maintenence and drive this truck to the moon and back a couple times.

The only thing I didn't see is valve lash. Take the time check the valve lash. Then take another quick moment and check the alternator for excessive AC noise.

I'm like you I want to make it to the moon and back. I've got 257k on the clock now and the Moon is only roughly 238k. So I'm on my way back home now.

Thanks! Ill make sure to hit those zerks. Any other points of lubricating to do while im under there? drive shafts maybe?

I was just looking at your crankcase vent mod, and might try to put it together tomorrow!

I forgot to add that, I did valve lash at 137k miles, none were very far out of spec. reset to .010 and .020 per factory specs, but read maybe .08 and .018 were better? anyhow, im not going to do it again for a while. How high of AC current should I be looking for? Im getting almost nothing on, maybe .1 , so I assume I am okay.

Yeah I don't know if im every going to make it to the moon and back, because I just don't drive that many miles, but that's the goal!

• Owner
17 minutes ago, FFThomson said:

Any other points of lubricating to do while im under there? drive shafts maybe?

Drive shafts if factory will be sealed units no grease zerks.

I forgot to add that, I did valve lash at 137k miles, none were very far out of spec. reset to .010 and .020 per factory specs, but read maybe .08 and .018 were better?

I tend to like the slightly tight number tad bit quieter engine and seem like the exhaust brake works just a bit better.

How high of AC current should I be looking for?

Measure at the BATT stud on the alternator and the case or passenger negative terminal.

0.01 to 0.03 AC Volts is normal.

0.05 AC Volts is marginal strange things might start to occur like lock up issues randomly.

0.1 AC Volts is a fail.

Yeah I don't know if im every going to make it to the moon and back, because I just don't drive that many miles, but that's the goal!

CajFlynn - 2001 Dodge Ram ended its life at 1.3 Million miles.

Taz - 1992 Dodge Ram sold with over 650k miles on it.

On the valve lash, I degree'd the cam in the 96, it was cool to see the difference a couple thou difference in valve lash makes.  I'll probably be running .006"/.014" once I get a chance to set them.

screenshot_32.jpg

screenshot_33.jpg

screenshot_34.jpg

Welcome FF. I too am working my way back from the moon at 362k. I dont think I have a second in me however. Just keep taking care like you have started and you will make it. This is a great place to help you get there. The folks here have helped get where I am today.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums!

The only maintenance I recommend going to your profile and creating a signature with the specifications of your truck and any mods that may be present. It will stop you from having to do so when you are asking for help.

Edited by eddielee

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, FFThomson said:

Hi everybody, 

I'm a new member here, but have been lurking for some time learning as much as I can. My first truck was a lifted 01 f350 with the 7.3 psd. It had an exhaust leak and possibly bad injectors, and was lifted way high with 38's. Not my style truck, and was more than I felt comfortable tackling myself (I was 20). I found an immaculate 02 cummins with 115k miles, totally unmolested with a paint matched canopy and bed rug. I was in love from the first time I saw it on craigslist. Went and bought it the next day with a small loan. Fast forward about 2 years today, still have it and love it. It now has 140k on the clock and I have done oil changes and fuel filter changes every 7k and 15k respectively. I added a edge jwa programmer and keep it on 2x3. Saving up for a new trans, but the stock is holding up fine. Also saving for a lift pump, but I've never seen fuel pressures below 10. Normally 14 when cruising. I also have a BHAF on the truck. Everything else stock. Zero blow from what I can see, but the crankcase vent bottle makes a mess...

So my question is, what maintenance should I do in the near future? Just ticked over 140k miles, and want to keep up on religious maintenence and drive this truck to the moon and back a couple times. Coolant flush, different changes, and transfer case lube changes are all on the list. Also need to delete the crankcase vent bottle, its making a mess. The truck just started making a little creak from the front end while turning low speed. I'll get under there with a grease gun tomorrow and lube up everything I can. 

Any other suggestions for maintence?20150924_144437.jpg.8ff48ae57a25c58b2fad20160122_142012.jpg.5b758efc5270875dc48120160122_142035.jpg.1b0c7a38a1956e790311

I am not sure what a Drive Belt Adjust is?!?!?!

I switched to Gates, because all my other belts would get tons of cracks.  Gates does not crack, but it does create a metallic squeak as the belt groove shrinks.  If you hear it, squirt water at the groove in belt.  Belt grooves thin, leaving space and metal roller/pulley acts like the old phonograph records (vinyl groove and needle produce music).  Water is a non-compressible thus it fills the groove and immediately no noise for 10-20 seconds.

I cannot predict how many cracks in a belt before failure, but I can predict the metallic noise and a 2 yr warranty  :-)

• Like 1