• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Some needed routine maintenance

Since the 05 is just a backup rig and tow rig primarily it has not been used a lot the last couple years, "7500 miles on it since the last service August of 2014" . Decided since the steering is getting loose it was time to get her on the hoist and look her over and do a major end to end service including all filters all fluids except coolant, did a t-stat last service and it was replaced with new then and adjust trans bands.

Pulled the steering gear out and sending it to Blue top steering steering for a "Quality" rebuild since this is already a cardone replacement several years ago and already loose as a goose. Herding cats down the road in a straight line would be easier, all other steering component look to be good and tight yet except for the leaky dripping damper.

Put in an order @ Genos garage for a full set of 5100 Bilstein shocks and steering damper which mine is totally shot with oil dripping out of it which prolly doesn't help with the wandering issue and also ordered lukes links track bar bushing kit as long as I am working in that area anyhow.

Found the power steering pump hose going to the hydro boost starting to leak along with a tranny cooler line above the steer gear leaking pretty good too, got them all ordered as well, rock auto for the steering pump hose and e-bay for the trans hose.

Now we wait for parts this week.

I just follow the specs and use a dial type inch lb. tq. wrench.

Ryan @ Blue top has gotten out of the automotive gear business to focus on the truck end of things but will still do them if he can get parts for them if one contacts him in advance to see if he will do it. Since I work with him he is doing me a favor, talked to him last week and he ordered the kit for mine to be in by the time I get him the gear at work on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Was my day off today but Ryan texted me said he had my gear done this morning already, he just picked it up from me yesterday afternoon at work lol, will visit with him tomorrow and find out how bad the cardone rebuild looked. Hoping the rest of my parts make it by Friday so I can get this thing done this weekend. Wife's VW and my 2010 hemi are both due for oil changes too and the 05 is plugging up my shop space. Watching the tracking data looks like all parts should be here by Friday. Can't install the gear until I get the trans cooler line that is directly above it replaced along with the power steering pressure hose right next to it.

• Like 1

Update, got all the parts yesterday. Today got the power steering pump line and trans cooler line installed along with my shiny newly rebuilt Bluetop steer gear. Pulled the track bar and replaced the OEM rubbers with Lukes links poly bushings and got a shiny new bilstein steering damper installed. Got the rear diff and t-case serviced as well.

Tomorrow it will be tranny service and prime the power steering system with new amsoil power steering fluid, get all 4 shocks replaced and change the engine oil.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

Update, got all the parts yesterday. Today got the power steering pump line and trans cooler line installed along with my shiny newly rebuilt Bluetop steer gear. Pulled the track bar and replaced the OEM rubbers with Lukes links poly bushings and got a shiny new bilstein steering damper installed. Got the rear diff and t-case serviced as well.

Tomorrow it will be tranny service and prime the power steering system with new amsoil power steering fluid, get all 4 shocks replaced and change the engine oil.

I`m due for a Trans-case and diff service as well. What are the recommended fluids for the T-case and non posi differential?

ATF in t-case and 75w90 or 80w-90 gear lube in the diffs. I run nothing but Amsoil synthetic myself in everything I own. The AAM axles in the 3rd gens have a different limited slip setup and have no clutches unlike the Dana axles so there is no need for limited slip clutch disc additive like the clutch type limited slips.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

My son`s F150 recommends Dextron with Mercon in his manual transmission. I was also on Gorends transmission site the other day and Dave recommends Dextron III with Napa Lube Guard... I guess if its good enough for Dave`s trannys it should be good enough for the transfer case.

1 hour ago, angus said:

My son`s F150 recommends Dextron with Mercon in his manual transmission. I was also on Gorends transmission site the other day and Dave recommends Dextron III with Napa Lube Guard... I guess if its good enough for Dave`s trannys it should be good enough for the transfer case.

The transfer case doesn't really matter, but the reason that Dave (and most other trans shops) don't use ATF+4 in their autos is that the ATF+4 is a bit too slippery for the aftermarket race bands.  When it comes to transmissions, especially manuals, I would be very careful when comparing fluids that aren't OEM.  

35 minutes ago, CSM said:

The transfer case doesn't really matter, but the reason that Dave (and most other trans shops) don't use ATF+4 in their autos is that the ATF+4 is a bit too slippery for the aftermarket race bands.  When it comes to transmissions, especially manuals, I would be very careful when comparing fluids that aren't OEM.  

So you think it would be best to go with the ATF+4 ? I`m pretty sure +4 is synthetic if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, angus said:

So you think it would be best to go with the ATF+4 ? I`m pretty sure +4 is synthetic if I remember correctly.

I am not a third gen guy.  You can't go wrong with OEM parts if you stick with the owners manual.  However, I am not super concerned with the tcase.  

Yeah, I have two books on my older Son`s 2nd gen, and one for my younger Son`s ford, but oddly enough I don`t have one for my 3rd gen... I do have a MoparMan PDF download on a thumb drive somewhere. I have never checked to see if it goes into fluid types and quantities though.   Now just to find it LOL!

Almost done, just need to center the steering wheel and finish the engine service. Took it for a short test run and the shocks are very responsive and don't get jumpy going over the washboards coming up the road towards my hose and the steering is a bit straighter now too, don't have to herd it around like I did before, New tires would help a lot too mine are about 75% worn.

8 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

Almost done, just need to center the steering wheel and finish the engine service. Took it for a short test run and the shocks are very responsive and don't get jumpy going over the washboards coming up the road towards my hose and the steering is a bit straighter now too, don't have to herd it around like I did before, New tires would help a lot too mine are about 75% worn.

What are you running for shocks?