• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto to Manual Trans Swap

Hello folks. My typical 2nd gen doge tranny is nearing it's end. I'm thinking about doing an Auto to Manual swap to hopefully save on money. (Built tranny's are quite expensive) 

Currently, the truck sits around 500 horsepower, but will probably go up as I add a twin turbo kit and injectors in the future. Can someone share a parts list of the things I would need for the conversion from auto to manual, including the cost of the parts (Except transmission)? Also, would the ECM need to be swapped or reprogrammed? I need to know everything that has to be done for the swap before I decide to begin the project.

If any of you believe I should stick to the Auto, what companies would you recommend for new-built transmissions? 

Edited by Hockeyfm13

Well, as much as I would want a manual truck the idea of a swap due to the components is not favored vs selling mine & buying a manual. That said, here is the list that I came up with to do it 100%, others my differ but I like things to look done right vs. done to get it done so to speak. FYI, a 100% swap is more then a built auto trans, close to 6k when all said/done (or close too it) if going with new components (again, why not start fresh?). The cheapest/easiest  way to do a swap is to buy a wrecked manual to swap everything over.

Bare bones:

• manual truck peddles

• 4500 or 5600 trans

• Manual trans adapter plate for engine

• Clutch & hydros

• shift linkage & misc

• (N) manual transfercase or swap input shafts

• (N) driveshafts or short/lengthen stockers

• (N) ECM – manual (could get away with a re-flash but electronics can be finicky)

• (N) PCM – manual (could get away with a re-flash but electronics can be finicky)

• (N) main harness or cut/splice stocker

My Extras:

• Manual truck interior

• Manual truck steering column (to remove shifter)

Edited by NightHawk

The following off your list is not needed:

Manual trans adapter

ECM or PCM (mine didn't need either and functions perfectly) If modification is required a smarty can flash a manual tune to clear up the issues.

Manual steering column...The shift lever can be removed without removing the column. Just buy a manual cover if it bothers you.

The shift tower can be solved with a shift boot from any parts store. Also add to your list sound deadening material for the hole you will have to cut in the floor.

But as you say you have 500hp at the moment you will be looking at many upgraded components, ie clutch, input shaft if NV4500, etc.

The roughest part of the swap is cutting a hole in the floor. Price wise to do the swap with all "new" material you will run about the same as getting your auto built to where you need/want.

Keep in mind that the cost of building the 47RE you have now vs swapping in a NV4500 will end up about the same. The NV4500 will need a billet input at the very least and there is also the 5th gear issue that will need to be addressed. You will also need a stout clutch to hold the kind of power your planning on making.

I have a 47RE in my truck and was planning to swap it for a NV4500 but ended up getting the bugs worked out and keeping it. Overall I'm glad I ended up keeping the auto.

• Owner
1 hour ago, The_Hammer said:

Keep in mind that the cost of building the 47RE you have now vs swapping in a NV4500 will end up about the same. The NV4500 will need a billet input at the very least and there is also the 5th gear issue that will need to be addressed. You will also need a stout clutch to hold the kind of power your planning on making.

This is about on the mark. Like myself I've escaped this for the most part by using smaller tires. Oversized tires will impact this more so and require more beefing up of the transmission to hold up. As for the 5th gear nut I'm still going strong no issues.

47 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is about on the mark. Like myself I've escaped this for the most part by using smaller tires. Oversized tires will impact this more so and require more beefing up of the transmission to hold up. As for the 5th gear nut I'm still going strong no issues.

500+ HP is hard on ANY trans when attached to an 8k pound truck, even if it's running tires that came off a Prius   anim_peep.gif

• Like 2

• Owner

That's why I never built that much power... There isn't any transmission that holds up to 500 HP without serious modification. Even then the life span is very short. Having oversized tires puts even more stress on the transmission so failure is even more so common. Check around you find more transmission failures with oversized tires than stock sized.

Goerend would be an excellent choice for components. They no longer offer in-house built transmissions but will give you a list of recommended builders around your aera.

Phill Taylor at Diesel Performance Converters is a great guy to deal with. I'm running a remaned Suncoast billet triple disk from him and love it. When I was having trans issues (due to a worthless pos trans shop) he offered to split, clean, replace seals, weld up, balance, and ship back my Suncoast converter for $75. He got me out a bind and did everything he could to help, I highly recommend him. 

Dusty Hawk at HTS offers complete transmissions, a 47re rated for 600HP and includes a triple disk converter runs $5K. He builds some stout VB's, one of which is currently in my trans. No one wanted to accept my old VB as a core because it already had a shift kit installed (a couple holes drilled in an oil passage) except for Dusty. He's a very knowledgeable guy and will go out of his way to help you. 

Edited by The_Hammer