• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

exhaust woes

Long story short I was checking on my dad's cattle out in the field  and got some really bad wheel hop and the exhaust came apart. Not a big deal I thought but after looking it over the Po who put the 4in exhaust on didn't get one of the pipes together and put the clamp on it egged out the one side and I can't get it back together.

my question is can I cut about 1 inch off and put it back together or is this pipe flared  on the bell side. 

This question is difficult to answer beings we cannot see what you do.

I would get some big channel locks and try to undo the oval shape and maybe get another person to help try and slip them together while I, or they, manipulate the pipes. 

May need a couple channel locks to do both pipes at the same time. 

Whether you can cut off some could be  figured out by inspection of the pipes and moving them an inch to see if there is enough play.

All aftermarket exhausts will be "bell and spigot", or have one flared end. U-bolt style clamps or strap clamps? If it's u-bolt style clamp, it's going to be a pain because they tend to crush the exhaust pipes when tightened. You might be better off cutting/splicing and getting some stainless steel strap clamps

I believe it's bell and spigot with u bolts and the way it looked last night is he pushed it together less then a inch and put the clamp on pasted where they where together and crushed the pipe that's why I was I hoping I could cut the bell back and slide it back over the spigot. But I wasn't sure if that would work or not 

Another thought is to try and flare it back out, may need to cut a line in an inch to do so. I think it would be better than cutting it off. Just drill a hole an inch in and cut to the hole, or vise versa, to stop it from wanting to crack from the cut up the pipe.

Can always cut it off later if it doesn't work. A little heat from a torch can help a lot when trying to flare it back out.

Edited by eddielee

Just take the pipe to an exh. shop and have them reshape it with their pipe expanders rather than cut it off even shorter, chances are he was a bit short to start with which caused the issue, then go back together with the self forming seal clamps and throw the u-bolt clamps away unless they are the hanger u-bolt clamps then one still needs them.

• Like 1

If you were in Asheville, NC I would send you over to Mason Mufflers on Haywood Rd. I would take it to him rather than even try to touch it myself! best price in town just have to make an appointment a week or so in advance.

If you do find a good muffler shop they can build a complete muffler and will weld it rather than use clamps, and they will do it for less than buying a muffler from a parts house.

Edited by eddielee

I would like to take it to a shop but they are full this weekend. I will take it apart tomorrow and go from there it's the only nice day should be in the 40. After that it's back in the teens for highs. Plus calling for over a foot of snow on Tuesday 

Good news is it took about half a hour to get fixed ended up notching out less then a inch on the top of the pipe where the u bolt crushed it. Losses up all the hinger bolts and pushed the whole thing nice and tight.

Bad news is my back side of the the transmission is leaking I believe it's called the tail seal.