• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Curious if anyone has an old damaged ECM laying around.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I do have one that was rebuilt and failed a year later. ASE I think was the rebuilder. I look at every so often to remind me of the fiasco the dealings with them was.

Would it be possible that you are willing to let go of, or do you like seeing it every so often? 

If you are willing where are you located so I can get shipping costs. 

I just returned my core for refund to cummins , 292.00 core , 1228.00 ecm  ,ouch   . Dodge wanted 2300.00 just for ecm

I`ve had luck I guess orig ecm until now , one thing I found out is 98.5 and 99 ecms when reflashed with power or other have had issues " burning flash in " and not getting back out , Dylan at Smarty told me this , also heard similar from Hyperteck . Dylan told me to get a 2000 to  02 ecm  , said the all work on all trucks . Cummins and Dodge don't feel this ,, had to get a vin # from a 01 truck and order from Cummins as if it was mine , they wont sell for the wrong truck , I read to many horror stories about the ecm rebuilders on line , if had at wreaking yard wouldn't know if it was a stock or a rebuilt one  , I wouldn't hesitate to spend 1300.00 on some other upgrade I wanted on my truck , power  .... so I just went that way , the old girl is worth it , hope cummins uses a better re builder

1 hour ago, eddielee said:

Would it be possible that you are willing to let go of, or do you like seeing it every so often? 

If you are willing where are you located so I can get shipping costs. 

I am in Hickory NC 28601. I can probably just usps it for a few bucks. I will not be home until 2-5 to put my hands on it. 

what do you hope to learn?

I am in Asheville, Howdy Neighbor!

I have been looking a bit into what issues cause failure within the ecm's and what exactly needs to happen to repair them. 

I want to find out what components are within the ecm and whether or not they are available through suppliers. 

If all goes well I will either find a way to repair them, or be able to create new ones. 

I have a failing one on my own truck and haven't had the best luck getting a good used one. Otherwise I would tear my old one apart. 

Unfortunately my truck isn't worth throwing  $1300 at nor do I have it to throw.

Edited by eddielee

Asheville huh. That does make us neighbors. Maybe we can roll up on one another one day.

When my oe went It threw DTC's like candy on Halloween. High and low volt codes on almost every sensor. Just went whacky. The one code it did not throw was one for the ECM. I just did not know enough to condemn a near $2k part. I finally did and bit the bullet and bought the rebuild. put it on and it did not work. I was pissed to say the least. Then i checked the codes and low and behold with all the others I had the failed ECM code, p606 I believe. So after the month and a half it took me to buy it I had to send it back and waited almost 6 weeks to get it back. Put that one on and it worked, except the cruise light stayed on and would not work. I just put on the road and drove it. I could not afford any more down time. Anyway it died a year later and I bit the bullet and put one from cummins on it for $1400. I hate to think what trying to save a few hundred bucks really cost me on the internet rebuild. Several thousand i would say. Got a pretty good education out of it though.

Send me you address and I'll send it to you. PM me if you like. Time to turn the page on that thing.