• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Having Line X Applied to Hood

• Staff

My fiberglass camper dripped Gelcoat residue all over the hood of my Black 2nd Gen nd won't come out of the paint. So Off I go to get Line X premium applied. Line X dealer wants me to remove the hood but I'm concerned how to remove the hood and not cause a crease when removing. Do you guys remove the front two bolts off first with a temporary board supporting the hood? I can see it maybe lowering just a bit while unbolting and causing a wrinkle.

Do you loosen all 4 bolts first while supported and then proceed? Thanks a bunch for any thoughts.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I hate to say it but, "Black is a B!t©h!" My old 1973 Dodge Charger was paint black in California. Beautiful car with black paint, black vinyl top, and tinted windows. Didn't take long for scratches and other issues to start showing up.

You got that right if you don't wax once a year she looks like she's a grandma. And the flat surface shows more than sides.

Joe, Thanks for the advice but, learned long time ago me and spray paint on large areas don't do so well:kick:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Dave, I think you might have a mess later in the prep process. How about waxing?

Dang, I better learn soon how to post pics.... you guys will want a look and I'll want to hear what you think.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doesn't take much to hose the truck with acid. :whistle:

I saw cleanser used once, It looked pretty good.

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doesn't take much to hose the truck with acid. :whistle:

That does sound a bit extreme.:think:

7 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dave, I think you might have a mess later in the prep process. How about waxing?

Dang, I better learn soon how to post pics.... you guys will want a look and I'll want to hear what you think.

The possibility of problems does exist especially on horizontal surfaces. As far a waxing goes, the clears is near 50% gone on the hood and the roof. A while back I tried sanding the roof and applied a new clear coat out of a rattle can. The results were poor. Looked good at first and then I guess the old clear coat kept failing and it now looks pretty crappy. Most folks dont see it though and I figured it was worth a shot. Left my camera at the job or I would post a photo. 

• Staff

When marking the position of the hood hinge use an oil based Sharpie®  marker pen. If you scratch into the paint then there is a place for rust to develop.   

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Sharpie/N-5yc1vZ1d1?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|D25H+Sharpie&mid=suY9c2bNi|dc_mtid_8903jx325196_pcrid_89035957957_pkw_%2Bsharpie %2Bpen_pmt_b_product__slid_&gclid=CMj1h9LP1MoCFc1ffgodAgIMvg 

• Like 1

You should recall the suggestion I have made about AL's Liner:

You can use the OEM paint code to pigment the liner and you can make it as smooth or rough as you want it. You could literally make your hood look darn near like it never has the liner on it in the first place.

Edited by hex0rz