• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lightning Strike

Hi everyone!!

I've don't quite a bit of reading on this forum (and many others) and finally decided to sign up.

Ive Had this truck going on 3 years now and i know the guy i bought it from and how well he took care of it.

Well the trouble all started last summer in July. There was a lightning storm and i believe it fried the ECM in my truck. After some digging I got my hands on a used ECM out of a 2001 6spd. It had the same cummins part number as the original.

Once i installed it I had quite a few codes being thrown (215, 237, 380, 382, 522, 1488, 1689, 1693) and the truck would only Idle and if i pressed the fuel pedal it would jump right up to about 1400 RPM, I could press the pedal all the way down to the floor or only move it a centimetre, it wouldn't matter it would go directly to 1400 RPM and stay there as long as i had my foot on the pedal. The engine light was on and the wait to start light would not turn off completely it would just dim down. After running the engine for a while most of the codes went away, i assume because the ECM was learning, but the 1400 RPM jump  remained the same as well as the engine light and wait to start.The codes that stayed are 522, 1689 and 1693. (522,1689 and 1693 appear with the key trick but only 1689 appears with a code reader)Thinking it would be best to tackle one code at a time i started on 522. After looking into the 522 code it seems that the truck has had the Oil pressure sensor changed to an oil pressure switch. The OP "gauge" in the cab would go immediately to the middle. I was not sure if the used ECM i bought has had the update for that and it may be what is causing the code, so i took the truck to the dealership for an ECM flash/oil pressure switch update.... Well the dealership called me back and said the ECM i have is the wrong one and that i would need a new ECM. This is EXACTLY what the technician wrote down "Inspected and hooked vehicle to tech tools. Found ECM # in vehicle is different then VIN#. VIN # is supposed to be 313038303j used ECM has 383331305J after being updated with latest prefix. Used ECM is now up to date but is wrong software for VIN. Issues remain. Recommend getting proper ECM to test properly." He went on to tell me that my original ECM and used ECM could have the same part number but different HARDWARE in them. Right about then is when i called BS on their whole operation... no way cummins would put out 2 different units with the same part number. Im still not even sure if they did the Oil pressure switch update.

Anyways truck is back at home now with no improvements 522, 1689 and 1693 still present, so I'm starting back at square 1. I didn't have much time today but just did a couple quick things. Ignition on engine off 5v supple to MAP sensor 4.99v. Only Wire going to my oil pressure switch is the Grey/Black wire ignition on engine off it has 4.6v. Im not sure what the procedure is for the sensor to switch change is but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be seeing anything out of that wire, maybe ill have to open up my wiring harness and see if there are some splices in there??? Im thinking if there is maybe i can fool the ECM into thinking there is a sensor there using a resistor and not worry about flashing the ECM again. I don't know much about electrical systems but I'm learning!!!!  Any input or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks

Oh and the EDGE EZ has been unplugged for this whole process.

Edited by oldblue

I might call Smarty and see if they can flash the right vin to the ecm?  I know they say that any 2nd gen ecm can be used on any 2nd gen truck, just needs the right flash.  

If the truck got hit by lightening or a large jolt I would look at your grounds first.  Maybe break out the multimeter and start testing various grounds --> battery neg for resistance.

• Like 1

• Staff
23 minutes ago, oldblue said:

it seems that the truck has had the Oil pressure sensor changed to an oil pressure switch. The OP "gauge" in the cab would go immediately to the middle. I was not sure if the used ECM i bought has had the update for that and it may be what is causing the code,

Why not take the oil pressure switch out and put an oil sender back in?

• Like 1

IBMobile from what i have read it seems like the sending unit was discontinued and the switch is only available now, Do you think i would have to re wire the ECM harness to put the sender back in?? Im not sure what was done with the orange wire (K7) and the black/blue wire. Maybe they were just snipped and tucked into the harness

Edited by oldblue

It only has 1 wire, it is no longer a sensor, it is just a switch, an "update" that was done before i got the truck. The OP sensor must have gone and this was put in as well as the old ECM must have gotten flashed too.

• Staff

Oil pressure sender has three wires: gray/black is the signal wire to the ECM, black/light blue is the ground at the ECM, and the orange wire is 5volt supply from the ECM.  I would cut open the wire harness at the oil pressure sender/ switch and see if those wires are there. I would all so check with the dealer to see if oil pressure sender can still be had.  I did find this but it says sender/switch so which one is it?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1440064,parttype,4588

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

IBMobile... Watch out. Those are gasser oil pressure sensors. I've made the same mistake. A Cummins oil pressure sensor typically sells for at least $100 bucks. Even NAPA Online miss list the sensors for our truck. It's off by one digit on the part number.

Holy ____ !!! I guess i 'm not buying a NAPA sensor...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Switch/_/R-ECHOP6725_0464379499

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

IBMobile... Watch out. Those are gasser oil pressure sensors. I've made the same mistake. A Cummins oil pressure sensor typically sells for at least $100 bucks. Even NAPA Online miss list the sensors for our truck. It's off by one digit on the part number.

Golly wow! I would have never thought that a company like www.rockauto.com could ever be wrong.  Thanks for the heads up.

OLDBLUE, check the wire coming off the oil pressure switch and see if it is taged onto the gray/black wire or goes to something else.