• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stealerships

moparguy55

Hey all i have to share this im still in shock.

My buddy works in the bush 4 hours north of fort MacMurray in Alberta Canada. His 02 ram started smoking like a train and skipping on cold start up. Drove it 4 hours of ice roads and back country to make it to a diesel shop in fort MacMurray.

He had P0216 code and a companion code. Figured the stock lift pump was dead and killed/killing the original vp truck has 220,000km. He asked them to change filter and check fuel pressure. Sure enough 3psi idle. They said first they will put on a new lift pump and see what happens. Gave him a quote of $4600 plus labor to change the 2 pumps. $300 for the lift pump and $4300 for the vp. Shop rate is $230 an hour. Sucks to be in isolation YIKESSSSSSSSS.

Lift pump took its toll on the VP still chugging and smoking, so he ordered a VP from a diesel shop in Alberta $1700. Seems to be going price for a rebuilt vp up here

Another example of what a crappy stock pump with no fuel pressure gauge can do to a vp.

Edited by moparguy55
  • Like 1

He said he knew he was in for a reaming when the service manager said they are pretty busy sold 70 new engines rock crawler trucks lol. Don't even want to guess what they are worth if they sell a vp for $4300.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If your closer to me I charge $60 an hour shop rate and typically do a VP44 in about 2 hours. I'm 

I'm isolated here too. I'm 180 miles from any large city with anything. 

Unfortunately my buddy and I are on the other side of the border in Canada. 

16 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

For prices like that he needs to get a fuel pressure gauge so he can catch another disaster before it happens. 

Oh ya i told him you better have ordered a gauge or im coming out there lol. He bought the truck literally a day before heading off to the camp, so didnt have time to get one on. Hes having a mechanical one installed along with the VP and getting a fass setup put on once he is done work in the next month. Trucks bone stock and he drives it like a granny, so the stock pump should be ok for a month.

Edited by moparguy55

One has to realize the location again.  And the primary source of income up there is the Tar sands and gold mines as well as other natural resources so folks income is pretty good and everything else follows, here in ND we are coming off the highs of the last few years Bakken oil boom that caused the same issues with pricing......................supply and demand especially more prominent in the harsher northern areas.