• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Bay cleanup

Looking for recommendations on the easiest/best way to clean up the engine bay of our trucks? I'd like to get things looking as new and shiney as possible but I've never do it before so not sure what all the prep to keep water out of, or anything else that should be done before I start spraying things down. Any good cleaners or degreasers? It'd be really nice to clean up all the mess from the crankcase vent, and then do the vent mod and be done with it for good!

I've had good luck with simple green on all of our farm equipment and my truck before I rebuilt it. I never worried about getting it on anything and it's never hurt anything. It works really well if you don't dilute it like the instructions say :lol: I let it sit for 20 min or so then powerwash the crap out of it!

• Staff

I've used Simple Green, Grease Lightning, and in the old days solvents from a high pressure sprayer.  I take the cleaner I have on hand and with a pump spray bottle apply it to the desired area and if the dirt/grease/oil is caked on then use an old paint brush to work the cleaner into the area. if you're using Simple Green don't let it sit to long it dries out quickly.  I take a garden hose with spray attachment and rinse it off. Do this on a cold engine because a hot engine produces steam and that steam can infiltrate electrical connections, condense and cause corrosion.  I'm sure others use the spray on stuff in a can an a high pressure washer but this is cheap and nothing special needed.   

• Owner

Like I'm using a product from Home Depot right now that is a purple cleaner of sorts. Works wonders on greasy engines and under vehicles. Power washer with 15* angle tip is awesome for cleaning with. If you use a 0* angle tip it's like a laser beam and kind of a pain in the rear. But it's the most powerful for cleaning things that are caked up. Typically the rest of the truck I'll wash with a 40* angle tip much milder.

I never let mine get oil and or grease build up in the first place, I am so super anal about even a few specs of dirt collecting and fix all leaks as soon as they appear or just keep some small ones sprayed clean at every service, I keep a case of non chlorinated brake cleaner on hand at all times and spray down any and all oil messes as soon as the job is done.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

So there's really nothing to look out for or keep from spraying directly?! I want to get things cleaned up for the exact reasons you guys are saying! Especially want to spray down all the extra crud built up from the crankcase vent. I assume I can spray cleaner and power wash off all my swaybars and steering components as well no problem right?

Edited by notlimah

• Owner
3 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I wouldn't try to spray electrical connections directly....

Other than those wash away! Mine gets a full wash once a week :thumbup2: 

Sam here. I've got my shop rigged up with a garden hose and the power washer at the door so I can roll th truck outside and power washer from front to rear and bottom to top. Take notice I said bottom to top. Best to start at the bottom of the truck and then work upwards. Another trick is to lay on a creeper that way to keep you out of the water. I've taken the time to dielectric grease all my electrical to prevent water issues. So everything is far game but of course no close up and personal spraying of the connectors it will push water in even with di electric grease.

I'm like TFaoro I power wash the truck as much as possibl keeping everything clean. This way its really easy to keep track of all leaks.

I made a goal of painting anything that came off, while I havn't followed that 100% I did pretty close.

screenshot_64.jpg

Now this is a friends truck, I can not begin to express the awesomeness.

P1080797_zpsjzlzwlwk.jpg

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

Whats the deal with the big aluminum box tied into the intake system? All that work and then he has the ugliest upper radiator hose wrapped with electrical tape and a worthless old school worm clamp on it......................:doh::lmao:

Edited by Wild and Free

Yea I got a cheapy spray bottle so figures I'd give it a good spray down, let sit, then bust out the pressure washer and go to town. As far as the dielectric grease, anywhere/plugs that should be paid specific attention too? Do you unplug and apply the grease or just cover over the plugs?