• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P0234 and intermittent surge/loss of power

Let me paint the picture.

Monday of last week saw me begin driving ~120 miles/day to a new job. I filled the tank up on the truck that weekend. I had not topped up with 2 cycle lately, but had a residual amount in there that I felt was sufficient due to always putting in either 16 oz or 32 oz, just depending how close I was to 1/2 a tank or a full tank. Oil checked out good, trans fluid ok, etc. Good to go.

Monday morning. 30~ miles in, hit a valley and as I start to pull up out of the hill, I can't hardly get her to go. It lacked power. It wouldn't downshift like it normally does when it grabs a gear to pull. The turbo wasn't spooling up. And it would sort of sputter sometimes and lug down. But nothing was consistent. At times it acted like it might get power, but then just wouldn't go. I limped like this the rest of the way to work. All the way I was trying to think it through...Do I have water in the fuel? Do I have something getting sucked up on the diptube? Have I got a plugged injector? Have I got a fouled fuel filter? What??? Took the truck ~5 miles for lunch, and it wasn't a power beast, but wasn't as bad as that morning.

I get in the truck that evening and it drives just fine. Like she normally does. I go to O'Reilly and they pull the codes for me and all I have is a P0234-Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded on the Bosch Scan tool the tech used. It's too late for me to do anything, so I just dread the next day driving to work. Drives just fine. I run 2.5 days on that tank and then fill up. I got about 14.4mpg on it(hand calc'd), which was great as I was anticipating about 12mpg from previous performances. I fill up, and I honestly can't remember if I added 2 cycle. Truck continues to run great. I finish out the week. I fill up the tank for the week to come. 16.2mpg!!! I don't even put in 27 gals of fuel for something around 430 miles(all from memory, records out in truck). This time I add 32oz of 2 cycle from WalMart and I am ready for Monday morning.

I warmed the truck for a long time (30 mins+) this morning and she was fully warmed up. I pulled off the farm and thought I felt reminders of last Monday. Sure enough, it starts doing a similar batch of loss of power. Never as extreme as last Monday, but certainly a loss of power and missing what I would call downshifting for power and not the usual boost I would feel and hear. Guess what happened this evening? Yep, drove just fine. Not a hint of issues.

Have I got trash in the tank? Do I have a dirty wastegate that needs attention? Have I got a cat stuck in my injectors and gumming up the works? What is going on?

I would appreciate any lucid ideas!!! I'll get you any answers/info I can. I don't have anything on the truck as far as gauges right now. All stock.

Thanks all!

You have no tuners that do boost fooling according to your sig correct?

If that is the case I would guess that your map sensor is on the way out and it is randomly suck reading a psi that is above 20.   This would cause the truck to defuel and drive terrible.  Do you have the ability to read live data from the ecm with a scan tool or similar?  or the ability to test the map voltage when driving?

• Like 1

No fuel gauge. I need to hook one up. I just started a new job, so this will likely have to wait until this weekend. I need to go search for the info on installing that as well as order in the gauge. There used to be debate on the mechanical/electronic route. I kind of like the mechanical idea so you never have electrical failure on your gauges. If someone remembers where that page is, feel free to link it and save me the search. ;)

I am stock. No foolers, no programmer, nothing.

I have an ELM 327 bluetooth reader. I got it a couple years back or more on Amazon, and it is like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/47562952?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034806092&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=56808673778&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=88566201218&veh=sem

I'm charging the tablet and am going to install Torque https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree or something like that. I hope to get live data as I drive tomorrow. Will that do what you need to help figure this out?

Does anyone have a better suggestion on the software to use?

I REALLY appreciate the interest and help!!

jamman

And the old truck is up to around 162k or so now.

Edited by jamman

I wish I were. I went out multiple times trying to plug the reader in and get it to pair, but no success. I tried starting with key off, plug in module, turn on key. Turn on key, plug in module, no success. Plug in module, turn on truck, no success.

Is there a key to getting that thing to work? Are chrysler products incompatible with those scanners? Or maybe mine is dead. I plug it in and it runs through all the LEDs, then it stays a solid red LED on. But nothing is broadcasting that my tablet or phone sees so it can pair with it.

So, I guess I need to order a new module. I'd like cheap and works. Does anyone have a suggestion?

To me, it just works. It comes with its own software that has more then enough stuff for you to mess with and customize. To me, a lot of times there's a reason that stuff is more expensive then the others. That's not to say that the "$15 cheapies" wont serve the purpose, but they're cheap for a reason. Just my opinion, YMMV

Ok! I should have written after that. I went and read more of the description on that item and the 3 yr warranty, so I was sold and ordered it after that. It should be on its way ASAP.

Meanwhile, I need to do some reading tonight and get the stuff for a pressure gauge installation on its way. I have needed to do that for years. But I'm finally where I can afford to order these items and install them. Having a decent paying job is sure darned handy! It's just tough when you're playing catch up.

Darned Amazon....ordered that scan tool on Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped. Looks like it will ship out on Monday.

On the positive note, I am enjoying getting 16mpg out of the truck! I don't know that it ever has run this efficiently, which surprises me greatly. Hesitation and acting like it has no power, but then get 16mpg on these 65mile one way trips. These are values from calculating gallons in and miles traveled. And I am putting in 1 oz/1 gal of 2 cycle TC-TW (or whatever is on there) from Wal-Mart.

• Owner

I'm using 3 different scan tools... ScanGauge II, OBDLink LX, and Innova 31603. 

As for the ScanGauge II the quality point is the trip gauge is fairly accurate. As for the OBDLink LX its really good at reading all the live data in one screen and then showing the error codes with a fairly good definition. Still best to come here and check the OBDII codes. As for the Innova is a bit pricey but covers the ABS and SRS error codes on vehicles but doesn't cover 98.5 to 02... It starts in 03. 

Michael, your reply is almost a sticky in of itself. Having a list of good scan tools and what their strengths are is very helpful for those of us not doing this all the time.

I have the OBDLink MX on its way. It says that it will work on Fords (ptooey!) and other makes as well, which is handy as I like to work on the family's vehicles also.

I'm going to make a different post, but taking pics of my AWFUL brake lines and post it to get some recommendations. I really appreciate all the help on here.

• Owner
5 hours ago, jamman said:

Michael, your reply is almost a sticky in of itself. Having a list of good scan tools and what their strengths are is very helpful for those of us not doing this all the time.

There is lot to be said about diagnostic tools. Each manufacture will have strong points and weak points. Personally my favorite is the OBDLink LX because of small size, cordless (bluetooth), it allows me to ride in the passenger seat and watch the streaming data while the owner drives. The nice part of the OBDLink LX is that it provides a numeric error code and if you got WiFi / Cell service then you can look up in the internet for more information about said error codes.  Then I can step out of the vehicle and stand at the front of the vehicle and still use the tablet and watch data as I peak and test things.

Where ScanGauge II and Innova 31603 are both corded and limited on reach.

The Innova is my least liked tool. Yes, it will do ABS and SRS codes but way too much button pushing to get the data you need or want. This tool does come with a valuable database of information for error codes and information. Again does have its limitations. 

ScanGauge II is OK live data tool but limited to what the XGauge will provide. Like there is more data in some vehicles and if ScanGauge tech team is willing to provide you with the XGauge Data then it can be programmed into the tool to watch that special live data. For out truck 98.5 to 02 ScanGauge will NOT support anyone with custom XGauge data because of the difficulty of digging up the data. 2004.5 to current they will support because of the CANBus standard.

Do a bit of searching on Google I bet you find articles on how to hack the CANBus and there is several people that done it with simple Bluetooth OBDII dongles like the OBDLink LX or MX.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Amazon finally got the scanner to me. I'll be driving the truck on Monday. maybe it will act up, maybe it won't. It seems to only act up on the first 70 mile drive after a fill up. But not every time.

I finally got a paycheck from the new job, so I'll be stopping tomorrow to get a fuel filter at the parts house and need to do an oil change pretty soon. Right now, dealing with a stomach bug, so not playing with the truck today.

So I need to put up the display for fuel pressure at idle, cruising and??