• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a 99 2500 4x4 that has had a dead pedal and high idle issue, which seems to get worse when the engine is hot. No codes are presented and the only way to get the truck running again is too shut it off and remove the 20 amp engine control fuse from the Electrical Control Center behind the drivers side battery. When it begins doing it it may happen five or six times within an eight or nine mile drive. Anyone have similar problem or ideas for a resolution. Thanks very much

Almost sounds like the the VP computer maby loosing a internal connection or getting hot. But we will need the codes from a scanner tool the key switch trick will not give you the codes it will only give a generic code, normally a a issue like ur having is usually a electrical issue and unhooking the battery or pulling the fuse is resetting something

I am using an Innovative OBD scanner

Innova scanner

Fuel pressure is approximately 13 psi at idle and 9 WOT

When I get the high idle I get a check engine light but there is still no code when I check it with the scanner

The injection pump was replaced with a rebuild from Southwest diesel in Phoenix approximately 4 years ago but the truck has had this issue even before then. I took the truck out of service in December of 2012 and it has not been driven since until recently so the pump probably has less than 50,000 miles on it

• Owner

Might try another scan tool. 

As for the fuel pressure that is actually getting too low for the most part. 14-20 PSI is the unofficial normal span. 10-13 is marginal being the overflow valve isn't opening and cooling the VP44 electronics very well. Below 10 PSI is a fail by even Dodge or Cummins standards. 

The only other thought is to test for excessive AC noise out of the alternator. Typically normal alternator produces only 0.01 to 0.03 AC volts. When didoes get tired or brushes get crappy then it will rises above 0.05 by the time you reach 0.1 AV volts other issues start to fail like ECM's and VP44. So measure the AC voltage at the BATT terminal of the alternator with a DVM that has a low AC volt scale like 2V AC or 200mV AC.