• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Guess What I'm doing this weekend?

Marty "Ghozt"

2005 5.9 24 valve. Making oil... Yuk. I guess most of you know what that means. It is also knocking on injector 5 and 6.

At least it is going to be a beautiful day down here in Texas. Already in the 70's. 

Will update when I'm all done. 

Oh, and this is my first post, great site from what I've seen so far.

20160220_091350.jpg

20160220_091408.jpg

20160220_091515.jpg

20160220_091556.jpg

20160220_091745.jpg

20160220_091753.jpg

20160220_091408.jpg

Edited by Marty "Ghozt"

Thanks for the Topic move, just sent a message to Mopar and asked him to do it, I was in too big of a hurry to get all greasy I guess.

It seems that the injector body on #6 is cracked. Not a pretty sight, will get some pics after I get cleaned up.

Edited by Marty "Ghozt"

Slim did a Compression test, his thoughts exactly, everything seems cool to him. He is the mechanic, LOL Not me. He says they look really good. Whatever that means. Told him if it was all bad, we would crate an engine in from Dallas and just drop it in.

So far, so good.

Need some help with this if anyone can...

Stupid BD Diesel sent injectors without the nozzle washers. Got a shop here in town that probably has them, but I need the original Cummins part number for the injectors. Been searching for the last hour looking for that stupid number. This is vital to my business. If I don't have the truck in Galveston Monday night, I lose a HUGE contract.

Help please.

2 hours ago, Marty "Ghozt" said:

Need some help with this if anyone can...

Stupid BD Diesel sent injectors without the nozzle washers. Got a shop here in town that probably has them, but I need the original Cummins part number for the injectors. Been searching for the last hour looking for that stupid number. This is vital to my business. If I don't have the truck in Galveston Monday night, I lose a HUGE contract.

Help please.

Here is what I found. 05086895aa http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/SEAL-Fuel-Injector/4376630/05086895AA.html You might want to double check me on this.

Copper Crush Washers.  Finally got the parts at about 7:30 pm last night. We won't discuss what that cost me on a Saturday night.

Premier Truck Center in Amarillo really stepped up to the plate on this one. They primarily serve big rigs, but hey, that is essentially what this thing is, an 18 wheeler with only four wheels. 

Does 300 psi sound about right for compression? It is uniform on all cylinders so I assumed it was correct. Guess that is pretty darned good for an engine with 270,000 miles on it.

Edited by Marty "Ghozt"

• Owner

That's the problem there is not set number for compression on these engines. More or less as long as it not excessive blow by and ejecting oil out the vent tube then it should be fine.

Me personally... I would most likely tear it down and rebuild the engine. I look toward efficiency and reliability of the engine more than max performance and power. Again there is no set number saying you must rebuilt at...

I'm curious pull your intake tube and shoot a picture of the turbo face. I'm curious of the S&B if the engine didn't take on some dusting. I'm not a fan of washable filters...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Life of diesel engines and fuel system components in pretty much every industry except general personal automotive is measured in total gallons of fuel burned.

Compression testing is always most accurate on a hot engine and as stated above consistancy across the board is more important than an actual set # unless you are dealing with 2 strokes.

25 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Life of diesel engines and fuel system components in pretty much every industry except general personal automotive is measured in total gallons of fuel burned.

Compression testing is always most accurate on a hot engine and as stated above consistancy across the board is more important than an actual set # unless you are dealing with 2 strokes.

I highly doubt his engine was hot, considering the body of the injector was cracked. If he drove it there that wasn't a good idea either....

If he had said 350psi I could live with that. But being 100psi down across the board isn't good. To me that would mean either something wasn't sealed when testing or the truck would have quite a bit of blowby.

• Like 1

All injectors have been installed, engine was cold during both testings. last one 30 minutes ago.

just a little over 300 psi all 6 cylinders, very little deviation. Like less than 20 psi. 

Cyl. 1 322

Cyl. 2 314

Cyl. 3 318

Cyl. 4 310

Cyl. 5 305

Cyl. 6 302

All measurements are estimates of course with this cheap tester. Not the best tester in the world I am sure. Saw the testing myself.

EDIT: Test Kit is a Wilmar... He said it was pretty cheap.

Edited by Marty "Ghozt"