• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4wd System Refresh np241DHD rebuild.

Well the time has come to tear into my NP241DHD,  I just bought an overhaul kit, ( seals and bearings only).  I will be dropping the transfer case at some point next week / weekend.  

Issues are I have a random grinding when I hit bumps, either in the CAD system or in the transfer case.  Pulling the stick back to 4x4 makes the noise go away, but I not longer have a working vacuum actuator either so I don't know if it CAD is to blame as I really doubt it is able to move the collar.  

I also have no ability to go into N or 4l in the transfer case.  It literally hits a wall trying to push from 2wd into N, so I am GUESSING that the shifter collar inside is FUBAR, but I won't know until I tear it apart.  

I am gonna go to the junkyard on friday and get a replacement CAD actuator and new vacuum lines as I can't even look at them without them busting / cracking.

Gonna take a bunch of pictures as I go.  

Also as a side note, I finally decided to figure out exactly what axle is under my truck.  It is a 610428-4  so a 3500 1994 front axle. nice to know rather than guessing.

HI guys, I had a similar problem with my np241 dhd. Maybe it's your struts and springs of the synchronizer.  Look in the dodge repair manual chapter 21-910 to 912. When I had drain the oil I had some pieces of metal...  it was the synchro springs,  I rebuid it but assamble the wrong way and when the truck it little bump makes a scrapping sound only in 2wd .   I had try in 4wd and nothing wrong.  So I disassambly the t-case and recheck the synchro. it was the cause. Make sure to assamble the struts and springs the correct way like in the manual!    

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If so... Then where is your write up on rebuilding transfer cases? 

Ugh... I've had it out and in pieces three times :doh: BUT if I can manage I'll be down in Springs with Nick :thumbup2: One of us should be able to snap some photos!

Have you ever pulled one apart Mike?

I don't know if any of the guts are the same as a 241dld but I have all of them from the a spare I got when the case halves cracked on my old 99'. Your welcome to them if they will work. My 2000 has the dhd so I'm definately looking forward to a write up :thumbup2:

like I intentionally kicked by 4wd selector to move it from N to 2wd when the wheels were all moving at different rates.... :shifty:

oh no my shifty smile thing is gone....ahhhh:ahhh: fix it fix it fix it 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

stupid computers making me feel stupid.

so back to the truck, just ordered a replacement mopar center support bearing.  that should get rid of my highway vibration and also was likely the reason why the tailshaft of the transfercase was leaking slight.