• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear disc brake issue

angus

Working on the rear disc brakes today, time to replace pads, and I need to get the rotors off to be resurfaced. I have loosened the park brake cable disconnected the cable at the rear axle, and I can`t get the rotor to budge! 

I have tried everything short of getting a bigger hammer and the rotor will not release from the axle flange??? Am I missing something here, or do I need a bigger hammer? I don`t want to destroy the brake rotor.

OK, issue solved. For anyone removing their rear disc, Get a block of wood and as big a hammer as you can swing.   Violence is necessary!

No need to loosen or disconnect park brake cable either

Edited by angus

• Owner

Check the hub for clips on the studs holding the rotor in place. You might have to get behind and back off the parking brake shoes turn the star wheel towards the axle is loosen away from the axle is tightening. Last possible is nature's thread locker. You might have to spray the hub with PB blaster and smack the rotor with a rubber hammer to see about getting it to move.