• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What gets your adrenaline flowing?

Wild and Free

For me it is Silos.  Climbing up in the dark feeling your way when it quits working.  Never had a headband flashlight, just climb in the dark and once you are in then pull out the flashlight.  Leveling after filling and worrying about silo gas if sat over night.  You can cannot smell the gas or see it, you just have to treat it like it is always there.  The neighbor had a service guy from the dealer die from this in one of his Harvestore's.  Raising silo unloader and the winch cable starts to fray and come apart and while this is happening I am standing outside the silo on the platform and you can feel every bounce and vibration, waiting for it to let go.  It never did thankfully.  Servicing the silo unloader most of the parts can be brought up the feed chute except for the augers due to the length.  We had to replace the augers in various silos and you have to pull them up from the outside platform and get them over the edge and lower them down.  Sounds easy but standing on a 20" by 30" platform doing this and using both hands to grab a 12ft auger.  The one that really scared me was when I smelled smoke coming of the hay silo.  The boss was gone on vacation and it was me and the one helper.  I climbed the silo in the dark with a big fire extinguisher, when I got up there I could not see the silo unloader it was so smokey.  Told him if he did not hear from me for a couple minutes to call for help.  Turned out a bearing on the blower failed and the feed was smoldering near it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ABennin said:

For me it is Silos.   

Based off my oilfield experience, I would have said "screw that."  Laziness and lack of proper procedure on your part does not equate a risk to my perpetual livelihood. 

Kudos man, and stay safe.  I hate augers.  We would have augers at the rear of a blender pulling up sand (proppant) into the tub that would sometimes become frozen due to lazy truck drivers.  Some supervisors wanted me to get a little physical with them to free up blockages.  

I had no qualms of saying too darn bad if I couldn't clear it with a piece of rebar.  I like my hands and they weren't worth a ~$45,000 job.  

Edited by CSM

5 hours ago, CSM said:

Based off my oilfield experience, I would have said "screw that."  Laziness and lack of proper procedure on your part does not equate a risk to my perpetual livelihood. 

Kudos man, and stay safe.  I hate augers.  We would have augers at the rear of a blender pulling up sand (proppant) into the tub that would sometimes become frozen due to lazy truck drivers.  Some supervisors wanted me to get a little physical with them to free up blockages.  

I had no qualms of saying too darn bad if I couldn't clear it with a piece of rebar.  I like my hands and they weren't worth a ~$45,000 job.  

Yup I agree my old boss was tight with money and that was one of the reasons I no longer work there.  I drew the line when I was around bulls.  Refused to worked with them.

AH64ID that you?

Funny thing is I have actually witnessed our local air NG boys doing this stuff with their silent blade helos, chasing game not actually shooting it though, came face to face with them one day in the hills along the Missouri river, first time I ever saw a near silent Helo from about 50 feet away as we crested the hill from opposite sides lol. Friend I was hunting with knew one of the pilots and asked him about it and they laughed and said its the best way to find good hunting spots..............................our tax dollars at work folks.:doh:

Edited by Wild and Free

That's just what someone called it I don't know the correct term for it, was definitely not like a normal helicopter. I could hear the wind from it but not the thumping sound a regular one makes. They have one in Bismarck and rarely ever fly it solo cause from several I know in the military they don't want the masses to know about it. I have seen it and it has a different look to it than the one it runs with as well. I was visiting with a medi vac helo pilot from our local hospital a few months ago as we have several helo landing spots on the mine I work at and had a fly in and a class on emergency response and what to do to help them get in and out safely and he was recently retired the air NG so I asked him about it and he laughed and pretty much confirmed it to me.

I came face to face with it like I say it was a breezy / windy day so it blended in with the surrounding noise very well but had it been a regular one I would have heard it loooonnng before that.

I think the ones in Bismarck are black hawks and the "Less noisy one" :wink: has an enclosed tail rotor. The medi vac pilot said the hospital he works for is ordering a new one with some different designed blade  tips and enclosed tail rotor as well to be a lot less obnoxious when flying.

Edited by Wild and Free

On 2/22/2016 at 10:02 AM, IBMobile said:

Have the engine start running rough in my plane at 10,000' and I'm flying over mountains.  

X2. Have had one forced landing. Concentration is very demanding and after the fact you thank the Lord you made it through.  Then you feel emotionally drained.

On 2/22/2016 at 0:26 PM, AH64ID said:

They can be fully controlled, just in a quick decent. 

That's assuming you haven't lost or damaged any of your blades!  :omg:

Edited by War Eagle

I know most of saw stories on the the pilot that landed the passenger plane in the Hudson river, his name alludes at the moment. It did that take a lot of skill with a lot of luck to put that thing in the water as perfect as he did. Have any of you ever listened to the radio communications recording of the event? If you listen to it you would never know what he is getting ready to do. That man had his head screwed on tight.

On another note. Working in construction has given me the opportunity to stand on the edge of many tall buildings. i cant deny when standing on the edge that I have a real nervous tightness in my gut about falling off. A few of the buildings were tall enough you are just going to die when you hit. But most of what I work are just tall enough to put you in a wheel chair or bed for the rest of your life. I think that is my biggest fear of falling. So with that being said, a few years ago I was in Florida with some of the family and we went skydiving. Did a tandem jump from 13,500 feet. I was pretty good with it but cant say I did not have some apprehension about the whole thing. My turn came and the guy I was strapped to drug me to the door. He was only 5' 4"versus me at 6' 4" so if I stood he would have been hanging off my back. I did not look down at that moment just kept staring straight out the door. Out we went and when we got stabilized I looked down and we were so high that the perception of height was very distorted and that feeling I had standing on building was not there. Matter of fact if it had not been for the wind rushing by you would have never know you were falling. The ground is so far a way you can"t tell at first that you are falling. He pulls the ripcord at about 5500 feet so we just fell over a mile in less that 60 seconds. even under canopy i never had that strange feeling of falling. Both side of that story get my adrenaline pumping.

Best 150 bucks I ever spent. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 2